Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rapid Testing
Aug 26, 2008

I know you probobly wouldnt recommend it but I ordered a HIV rapid test kit online. I did this because here in the UAE they deport people who test positive for HIV or HEP B.

Anyway my question probobly reinforces why testing should not be done at home. I only ordered one kit. It had a pin-prick device and small pipette used to collect the blood. I had trouble getting a good quantity of blood but managed to get one small drop (all that was required as per the instructions) I placed this in the sample hole and then added 4 drops of the dilution fluid (again as per instructions)

My question...The control line showed up very clearly. Thankfully the other lines didnt appear at all. Does the presence of a control line detect the presence of blood or would it show up if just the dilution agent was present? I am concerned I didnt put enough blood in or that the blood may not have filtered down properly. The paper didnt turn pink or anything.

If I knew the answer to this it would give me the confidence to go and get tested at the local hospital to be sure.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

They deport people who test positive for HIV or hepatitis B???? Nice. How kind and compassionate! It says a lot about how enlightened UAE is.

Regarding the details on how your specific online-purchased rapid test works, it's difficult for me to give you a definitive answer, as I don't know which test kit you were using. What I can tell you is that all the FDA-approved rapid test kits would not give a control line reading if there was insufficient blood. Consequently, I believe you can trust your results and get tested at the local hospital without risk of deportation.

Dr. Bob

Previous
question
Next
effective indirect transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.