The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

infectious water

Aug 26, 2008

Hi Dr. Frascino, In 2003 I had a boyfriend who was a drug/needle user, we did practice safe sex except for a few times. He (and the drug-y group) did not share needles, but they did share the water. Apparently sharing a communal bowl of water is a common practice among users (and no they dont always use a fresh syringe for each hit, so there is old blood in the syringe.) I have two questions: 1. Was it possible for my ex to get HIV & other STDs/diseases through water sharing? 2. Sadly he did pass away in 2004 on an overdose. I know you are not a lawyer but am I able to get records of his autopsy to see if I was exposed to HIV/hepatitis/ or any other disease? Is this common or outrageous? I live in NY. Thanks, Robin

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Robin,

1. Yes, it is indeed possible to contract HIV and hepatitis from sharing IV paraphernalia.

2. Autopsy reports may or may not provide you with the information you are requesting. What's really important now is not whether you were exposed, but whether you are infected. You had consensual unprotected sex with your ex at least "a few times" and consequently you placed yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV. What you need to do now is get screened for HIV and hepatitis.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

please spiraling out of control.. what i thought was safe turned into a nightmare!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint