infectious water

Hi Dr. Frascino, In 2003 I had a boyfriend who was a drug/needle user, we did practice safe sex except for a few times. He (and the drug-y group) did not share needles, but they did share the water. Apparently sharing a communal bowl of water is a common practice among users (and no they dont always use a fresh syringe for each hit, so there is old blood in the syringe.) I have two questions: 1. Was it possible for my ex to get HIV & other STDs/diseases through water sharing? 2. Sadly he did pass away in 2004 on an overdose. I know you are not a lawyer but am I able to get records of his autopsy to see if I was exposed to HIV/hepatitis/ or any other disease? Is this common or outrageous? I live in NY. Thanks, Robin

Hello Robin,

1. Yes, it is indeed possible to contract HIV and hepatitis from sharing IV paraphernalia.

2. Autopsy reports may or may not provide you with the information you are requesting. What's really important now is not whether you were exposed, but whether you are infected. You had consensual unprotected sex with your ex at least "a few times" and consequently you placed yourself at risk for STDs, including HIV. What you need to do now is get screened for HIV and hepatitis.

aids (ORIGIN OF HIV/AIDS)
please respond...life spiraling out of control.. what i thought was safe turned into a nightmare!