Nail Scratch

Hi Dr. Bob - I have a question for you which at first I think is crazy and then my hypocondriacizm sets in. Today I was at the mall and man helping me at the store handed me something and scratched my finger. I see the red mark where he scratched me and it stings although I did not bleed. Should I be at all concerned I could have been exposed to HIV? Who knows what was on/under his fingernails. I am not trying to be sterotypical, but the man was defaintly gay. I realize that HIV can affect all men. Again I am a rational person most of the time, but I googled and that is never good for a person who can get themselves all worked up from time to time. Should I go to the doctor to get checked out?

Your "hypocondriacizm" has indeed struck again! Your fears of HIV acquisition from sustaining a scratch from the nails of a "defiantly" gay man are nonexistent.

Waiting Again
HIV - AIDS Transmission