Conservative Sex Ed and Now Im Worried

Dear Doctor,

Growing up I was taught sex ed very conservativly. You know aids was only a problem for gay people and things of that nature. Well I never took much thought to it until I had unprotected sex. I thought the only thing you had to worry about from unprotected sex was a pregnancy. Well anyway my lymph nodes enflamed in my next a few months following this incident. I looked this up online and what did I see... you guessed it hiv/aids. I freaked out this. (noting this was 6 months after the incident) anyway I got tested...negative with a rapid test and a clinic in a small town. I still had swollen lymph nodes so 3 months later I got tested again and it was negative. I was relieved my lymph nodes began to go down and everything. However, since then I had onelymph node get a little large in the back of my neck and it has been there for quiet some time. So please doctor a simple answer would help me. I am worried that since this was a small town clinic, and doesn't specialize in hiv testing and it was a walk in incident. However, I know they did the test correctly, however, I don't think they did the pretest control expierments with actual samples that I keep reading about online. Should I go and retest somewhere else? Or can I trust these tests? Why do companies such as unigold sell controled hiv samples for testing then. Please doctor a simple answer would do wonders. I need you so much right now. I am so stressed.

Sincerely Desperate :(

Hello Sincerely Desperate,

Your unfortunate situation is all too common and, as you suggested, directly related to your lack of science-based, age-appropriate sex education. That you were taught HIV/AIDS was only a problem for gay people is scientifically inaccurate, morally reprehensible and downright dangerous.

Your two negative HIV tests out to nine months after your last unprotected sexual experience are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. Additional testing or retesting at another site is not warranted. Whatever caused your lymph node symptoms, one thing is certain: it wasn't HIV. You need to do only three things:

1. Yell WOO-HOO!

2. Get informed about HIV, including HIV prevention/safer sexual techniques. This Web site has a wealth of information on that topic.

3. Vote of Obama/Biden and Democrats in the November elections, so that we can return science-based, age-appropriate sex education back to our schools. That way others won't have to endure the anxiety (and risk) that you did.

Health Care worker that is very worried
Follow up to my Woo Hoo