Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Loosing my mind
Aug 22, 2008

Help! I had unprotected sex 13 months ago,I know I have learned my lesson. I now practice safe sex even in my new monogamous relationship. Well 6months later I got sick and went to MD, she gave me antibiotics which gave me a yeast infection, went to the doctor again, gave me meds but it clears and comes back. I have been like this since Dec 07, now I have had diarrhea for 5 days. PS I had ELISA test at 6 months after unprotected sex, and at 9months and they were both negative. My doctors keep giving me the runaround. Help I am going out of my mind! Why don't my yeast infections go away (I read they are a symptom of HIV) why does my boyfriends diarrhea go away after two days but mine won't, and should I get another HIV test? My boyfriend also tested negative we went together. He reassures me that both tests are accurate but then why can't I get rid of these infections. I am losing my mind. I don't sleep, I can't eat, I am constantly thinking about this issue. HELP ME! You offer such great reassuring advice I wish you practiced in Texas

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm assuming your recurrent yeast infection is vaginal. Correct? Recurrent vaginal yeast infections are quite common and the vast, vast, vast majority of them have absolutely nothing to do with HIV. I cannot diagnose the cause of your problem over the Internet. However, what I can do with absolute confidence is advise you your recurrent vaginal yeast infections are not related to HIV! Your negative ELISA tests at six and nine months are definitive and conclusive. I would suggest you see a gynecologist (or get a second opinion from another gynecologist if your current doctor is indeed "giving you the run-around"). Additional HIV testing is not warranted. Stop worrying about an illness you could not possibly have, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
ARS & Recovery Period
Next
fmr Heavyweight world boxing champion Tommy Morrison still boxing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.