Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Biaxin and STD's
Aug 21, 2008

Hello Doc,

Just a quick one....I had 2 oral sex encounters 1 year ago and I got tested at the 9 month mark for HIV (mainly just to get it off my mind) then I started thinking about other STD's so my questions are..

1)I was on Biaxin for 10 days 2x500mg a day due to a chest infection about 6 months ago...would this get rid of any bacteria STD?.

2) Could a person be infected with a bacterial STD for a whole year?..or would it clear up on it's own?

3) I have never had symptoms...I have read that most ppl (men) have symptoms, is this true?.

4) I was also on Amoxicilian 3x500mg a day for 10 days (due to another infection in my saliva gland) would this do anything?..

Thanks alot and a donation is on it's way for all the great work you do!!.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your courses of Biaxin and amoxicillin would cover some STDs, but not all. However, if your encounters were a year ago and you are completely asymptomatic and have a negative HIV test at nine months, you should have nothing to worry about and no additional testing would be warranted at this time. If you again become sexually active, remember to practice safer sexual techniques. Your general medical doctor can also easily screen you for common STDs at any time should you develop symptoms after a walk on the wild side.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
can you determine how lony you'v e been infected with HIV? (newly HIV+ and freaking out!)
Next
I know toilet seats are okay, but...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.