can you determine how lony you'v e been infected with HIV? (newly HIV+ and freaking out!)

I've been married for almost 3 years when all the sudden, I need to see my gyno for discharge issue. He tells me it'a an STD and i need to talk to my husband about hi fidelity. Then Doc asks if I want the full STD screen with HIV. I agree. Doc calls me back the following monday to come to the office. At that point, he informs me I'm Hiv +. i'M FREAKING OUT! i TESTED NEG IN 2004 and have been safe. So, can an STD like Trich live dormant in a man for 3 to 4 years brfor infecting a partner, and can the HIV virus lay dormant for any number of years before presenting in blood work. Totally confused and certinly scared!

All my Best,

Darlene

Hello Darlene,

It's time for a heart-to-heart talk with your hubby. If you've been married for three years, been completely faithful and now have several STDs, there really is only one obvious explanation. Are there ways to determine how long someone has been HIV infected? Yes, there are some tests that are used primarily for research purposes that can distinguish recent HIV infection from a more chronic or longstanding infection. However, this really isn't the issue you should be focusing on. You need to see an HIV specialist. The specialist will run additional blood tests to confirm your HIV status and, if that is confirmed to be positive, additional tests to ascertain the status of your immune system (CD4 count) and activity of the virus (viral load). Your husband will also need to be tested, as it appears likely you contracted the infection from him. Obviously the two of you need to have some serious discussions about what has happened. Couples counseling may help.

Darlene, if your HIV-positive status is confirmed, I suggest you read the chapter "Just Diagnosed" on this site. It can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage under the heading Quick Links.

Good luck. I'm here if you need me, OK?

What about lack of symptoms? an answer would really help my grandparents out...
Biaxin and STD's