hiv-2 detectability (HIV-2) (HIV-2 TESTING)

I recently entered into a short term relationship with someone who is poz. Both gay males, he lives in asia and i live in the US. 100% use of condoms for anal sex. After the relationship ended I have gone for HIV rapid tests at the 7 week point and tested negative using uni-gold. my question is should the poz guy have hiv-2 and i became infected would the test i took be moot as it's not cleared for hiv-2 detection? do i need to visit my dr and have him run his tests (which arent free like the clinic i went to)? should i be taking tests that look for both hiv-1 and 2?

HIV-2 is not prevalent in Asia. If you are concerned, why not just ask your ex if he has HIV-1 or HIV-2? Yes, HIV-2 screening tests are available, but I do not feel your risk, based on the information provided, warrants HIV-2 testing. I'll reprint some information about HIV-2 below.

HIV-2 May 11, 2007

Hi Dr Bob; Just a quick question. when is HIV testing for HIV-2 indicated?

Thanks. Alec.

Hello Alec,

The CDC recommends HIV-2 testing for:

1. natives of endemic areas (West African countries, including Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d'Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, So Tomé, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo plus two other African countries Angola and Mozambique

2. needle-sharing and sex partners of persons from an endemic area

3. sex partners or needle-sharing partners of persons with known HIV-2 infection

4. persons who received transfusions or nonsterile injections in endemic areas

5. children of women at risk for HIV-2 infection.

hiv 2 research Jun 13, 2006

i am worried this guy i shared bleached needles with who was hiv+ was secretly hiv2+ and didn't specify. i have been hiv1 neg 23 times, and it has been three years since i was on drugs.now that i've done hiv1 to death, i'm onto hiv2.i have researched some more. this guy i was with got tested monthly; viral load and t-cells.but one website said they can't test viral load in hiv2, and another said they could. do you know if these signs point to him having hiv2 or hiv1? i can't remember the medications he was on,they all sound the same.i might actually kill myself if i can't let this go, it's been hiv hell for 3 years,but whenever i get tested i also get suicidal and at least hurt myself. he was infected in 1990, around when there were 10 confirmed cases in his state.i have no idea if he hung around with people from west africa or not, but he worked on a fishing boat, which could be a bad omen.i keep seeing liscense plates that have a P and a T(God saying, "positive... two")please help me doctor, as you help SO many others.thank YOU for doing great work for all of us.

You think God is speaking to you in coded license plates??? Gosh, have you seen any with an L and a T lately??? That could stand for Loony Tunes!

Dude, 23 HIV tests??? Which part of HIV negative didn't you understand the first 22 times???

I would say your risk of HIV-2 is nonexistent. You bleached your works! Plus, HIV-2 remains extremely rare. However, since you are indeed being driven 'round the bend by your completely irrational fears, why not just get a rapid test? You'll have definitive proof that neither HIV-1 nor HIV-2 is your problem within 20 minutes. There are at least two FDA-approved rapid tests that screen for HIV-2: OraQuick HIV-1/HIV-2 (made by OraSure Technologies) and Multispot HIV-1/HIV-2 (made by Bio-Rad Labs).

Since these tests give results within 20 minutes, hopefully you won't have time to jump off a bridge or drink a gallon of arsenic.

Finally, I do believe you should consider psychiatric help, even if your HIV-2 test is negative (as I strongly suspect it will be). Your problems appear to go far deeper than irrational HIV fears.

Good luck!

HIV-2 specific testing Dec 19, 2007

Hello Dr. Bob

I had a risky sexual intercourse with a man from Gambia (where, as far as I know, HIV-2 is endemic). Should I also test for HIV-2 or one 3 month standard antibody test is enough?

Thanks,

HIV-2 is endemic in Gambia and other countries in West Africa, including Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, So Tomé, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo in addition to other African countries Angola and Mozambique. Consequently HIV-2 testing is indeed warranted. (Some "standard" antibody tests now cover HIV-2 as well as HIV-1.)

Remember, a thin piece of latex properly used would significantly decrease the risk of contracting many STDs, including HIV-1 and HIV-2.

Follow up to 6 and 8-week test accuracy from Oral Sex...
too much thinking?