Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow up to 6 and 8-week test accuracy from Oral Sex...
Aug 19, 2008

Dr Bob, I have just donated to your foundation, and feel honored to assist any way I can. I appreciate your response to my previous post regarding my triple blowjobs over a weekend. I cannot say that I am proud of my antics, but alas, they are in the past. I also fully support your notion to not trust the self-reports of people's HIV status. In regards to my specific case, I have a question regarding the symptoms I described. Is it true that lymph adenopathy associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome is generalized and non-painful? Seeing that I had swollen lymph nodes in the neck, one one the right, and one on the left, where one was sore to the touch, would you generally not associate my symptoms with HIV ARS??? I did NOT have swollen nodes in the groin or armpits, or anywhere else that could be felt. My other symptoms consisted of sore throat, a slight headache, fever, and fatigue. I do intend on getting one last conclusive HIV test, even though 3-months has already passed. Like I said, I am a huge hypochondriac. As a child, when Ryan White and Magic Johnson were in the news, I thought I had HIV whenever I got a stomach ache... It is rather annoying both to me, and those around me... Anyway, thanks for all that you do, and I hope you are well. :-)

-David

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi David,

Thanks for your thanks and your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated.

Regarding HIV-associated lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes), yes, in general they would be generalized (multiple locations on both sides of the body) and not painful (depending on location and how much someone mashes on them, some discomfort could be present).

You've correctly identified your longstanding problem as hypochondria. You also have some insight into your problem, realizing, at least in retrospect, that your HIV fears are irrational and unwarranted, going back many years. You do not need additional HIV testing; however, you could very well benefit from psychological counseling to help you confront and conquer your irrational fears. It's the best way to stop being annoying to yourself and others!

Be well David.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Cash for better treatment?
Next
hiv-2 detectability (HIV-2) (HIV-2 TESTING)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.