Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need your expert advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 18, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob

I need your expert advice please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Late last year I had vaginal intercourse with a sex worker (Status Unknown) it wasnt until afterwards that I discovered the condom had broken. I panicked and went to the nearest hospital where I received a regiment of Retrovir. I experienced no side effects from the drugs. (Is this a good thing for developing antibodies?)

Apron completion I returned for testing at 6 weeks and was negative. Retested at 19 weeks and result was negative. My final test was at 25 weeks and Result was negative.

But on the day of my 25th week test I had a mole removed on my back, with local anesthetic. Before blood was drawn for my test, could this have affected my test result?

One and a half week later after my 25 week test I had a sore throat and a dry cough, that stayed for about a week, and I kept feeling if I had swollen neck lymph nodes, but didnt seem like it, Would lymph nodes only swell in the neck are if a person is infected with HIV?

I have practiced safe sex with my new girlfriend. And I know that oral sex is very low risk, I have devolved an oral ulcer within the last few weeks, and it healed in about 10 days. And also found that my mouth is very dry at times, the very back of my tongue has a white coating on it. Could this be from stress and anxiety? Or could this be from giving oral sex to my girlfriend? Or HIV symptoms?

I also have to mention that I suffer from heavy sinus problems from a young age, and im not using medication for it.

Im very worried about the oral ulcers, and the back of my tongue thats white, is it normal?

Would you recommend that I go for further testing or is my 25 week test conclusive? Would a WOO-HOO be possible in my case and can I go on with my life?

Thanks for the great work that you are doing Doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to hear your response Dr.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

WOW! There are a lot of exclamation marks in the title of your question and nearly as many questions crammed into your post! I'll answer briefly, because the bottom line is that you are HIV negative and your fears are unwarranted.

1. Local anesthesia and mole removal would not affect HIV-test results.

2. The lymph node swelling associated with HIV is generalized (multiple locations).

3. Yes, your symptoms could be related to stress and anxiety. No, they are not related to giving oral sex. No, they are not related to HIV. Yes, they could be related to your "heavy sinus problems," due to postnasal drip.

4. Since I can't examine your tongue, I can't advise if what you are seeing is normal or not. What I can do is advise it's not related to HIV.

5. Your 25-week negative test is conclusive. HIV is not your problem.

6. Yes, your results are WOO-HOOable and yes, you should get on with your life.

One final point: I would not recommend Retrovir as a solo agent for PEP. We generally recommend a regimen of at least two, and often three, drugs.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
scared to start hiv meds
Next
Scared. HIV- (so far) but with symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.