Foolish UK Guy, Follow Up

Hi Dr Bob,

You answered my questions last year and I'd just like some more advice as my health is still failing. Following unprotected vaginal sex with a lady i'm pretty sure is HIV positive. I've tested negative out to 1 year but still have the following symptoms;

Enlarged lymph glands on one side of my body Weakness in my legs and arms with assoicated pain and numbness (PN) Oral Thrush Ridges and sores on the sides of my tongue (OHL?) Fat redistributed to create a fatty stomach I've never had in my life A recent bllod test shows high levels of HDL and LDL and low levels of white blood cells

All in all I've always been a very active person but now have no energy or stength.

I'm worried I maybe have HIV and want to sort out things before I get more ill. What I can I do to find out where I am medically?

I'd travel to your clinic in the US if you think that could help me.

Much Respect

Hello Foolish UK Guy,

Back again? And with the same unwarranted, irrational HIV fears??? Dude, you need a new hobby. How about Sudoku or maybe naked Twister?

My assessment of your situation has not changed. (See below.) You are definitively and conclusively HIV negative.

You do not have HIV-related peripheral neuropathy, thrush, oral hairy leukoplakia or lipodystrophy, because you don't have HIV! (I strongly doubt you have any of these diagnoses, even those varieties not related to HIV. Don't try to self-diagnose. You have not gone to medical school and are not qualified to make these diagnoses!) Your symptoms may well be associated with anxiety and depression.

I think you are right on target when you write: "I'm worried I maybe have HIV . . . ." BINGO! Your problem is that you are worried. And that should be the focus of your medical interventions. We know conclusively HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Because your problem has now become such a longstanding issue, I suggest you consult a psychiatrist to help you cope with these irrational and totally unwarranted HIV fears. Psychiatric treatment can help you eventually accept the truly wonderful news that you dodged the HIV bullet.

We have evaluated countless folks like you at the Frascino Medical Group and eventually they all came to realize that HIV was not their problem.

Good luck, Foolish UK Guy. I suggest it's time to stop being "foolish" about your nonexistent infection and begin focusing on your very real problems of depression and anxiety.

Help Please Foolish UK Man Oct 9, 2007

Dr Bob,

I had unprotected drunken virginal sex with a women I've since come to believe is HIV +. I had a cut on my penis after!! I've had numerous symptoms over the last few months including oral thrush that has not gone after 2 courses of treatment. I had this after initial fever at 3 weeks, night sweats, sore throat etc... I've now got swollen glands in my groin and one side of my neck!! Despite all this I've tested negative at 8.5, 10 and 12 weeks? Am I in the clear as far as HIV is concerned or would you recommend further testing? Please help I'm going out of my mind.

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 12 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time.

And dude, just how much risk could there be in having "VIRGINAL" sex???

Help Please Foolish UK Man (follow up) Oct 17, 2007

Dear Dr Bob,

Thank you for answering my question I feel quite humbled, and I liked the comment about my use of the word virginal!! Gee I have been stressed out lately. The lady I slept with had a really bad night sweat and was very odd the next morning with me and has since refused to return any of my attempts to contact her and ask any questions. I did think a lot of it till I started to get a fever, nightsweats, diarhea, nasuea etc.. around 3 weeks later. I'm still not at ease as my lymph nodes are still up(general non painful) and this damn oral thrush won't shift. Both have been diagnosed by my doctor along with pain and weakness in my hands and legs. He tested me for glandular fever and it came back negative. I've been on antidepressants (metazapine) for a while and my immune system was never the strongest as a child. I'm not doubting your initial answer just trying to flesh out the information a little and I want to try to get back to normality with my girlfriend who has stood by me through all this. She really is a saint. I'm recieveing counselling, this has really hit me hard and it's effecting the people around me (which i'm ashamed of as i've been weak). Of course I want to believe my results but all the time I have these symptoms it's been impossible What I really want to know is can I woohoo or should I test more?

Thank you

Hi Foolish UK-Guy,

I have no doubt about your being "stressed out lately." So "virginal" lady was "very odd the next morning"??? Hmmm . . . just how odd was she? In the morning light did she resemble Margaret Thatcher or, worse yet, Dick Cheney? Oh never mind. Your question now is "Can I WOO-HOO or should I test more?" Hmmm . . . UK Guy, exactly what part of my previous post are you having difficulty understanding? As I've already said: "Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 12 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps 'symptoms' each and every time."

I have not changed my assessment. See below. Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing.

Foolish UK guy last question? Nov 20, 2007

Hi Dr Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my last two questions. Just to give you an update, my symptoms have persisted and since my virginal (you know I meant vaginal!) sex incident. I'm 32 and had several partners in my past but tested negative last year. These symptoms have really freaked me out and after seeing another speacialist I took a test last week, now 20 weeks post exposure. I'm awaiting the results in the next few days and pray that your original judgement is correct as I have since had unprotected sex with my normal partner. Thanks for all the great work you do for everyone I will be donating for sure. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Much love and respect from over the pond.

Hi UK-Guy,

OK, I'll keep my fingers crossed until you get your test results back, but I sure hope those results come back soon. Do you realize how difficult it is to type like this?????

Good luck!

under medicated?
NURSE need help about her occupational exposures to HIV