The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

under medicated?

Aug 17, 2008

hello doctor Robert about a week ago I have a brief exposure because of a broken condom.when I noticed my penis was pretty dry. I think thats the reason the condom broke. her vagina was to dry.the next day about 12 hours after a possible exposure I went to my doctor and she gave me some medicine as part of a pep treatment, but she only gave me a drug named truvada(i have been taking it since then. I would like to know if this drug is enough for this kind of treatment?, because I have been reading the forum nda it looks like I should be taken one more medicine and if I do, which one would this be? or is already too late to add another drug. does this kind of incident is considered or high risk the only think I know about her is that she is a stripper

thanks for your answer doc

sorry about my English I know is pretty bad

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, your English is way better than Dubya's!

Regarding Truvada as PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis), see below.

You can download a copy of recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for antiretroviral post-exposure prophylaxis after sexual, injection-drug use, or other nonoccupational exposures to HIV (nPEP) at

Finally, remember when using latex condoms, lubrication is your friend and that only water-based lubricants are compatible with latex.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Truvada / PEP May 7, 2008

Dear Dr. Frascino,

Many thanks for this excellent forum.

I had sustained (prob 10 minutes) unprotected sex (passive anal) with someone I have to assume is HIV+.

The following morning I was prescribed Truvada by my doctor for 30 days and began taking it about 11 hours after the sex.

I have not been able to contact an HIV specialist in the area because it is the weekend. But I'm wondering if you think the Truvada is sufficient or if I should be taking it in combination with something else.

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Truvada is a fixed-dose combination of emtricitabine and tenofovir. Depending on the type and severity of the potential HIV exposure, some HIV specialists will recommend two-drug PEP while others may opt for an expanded three-drug regimen. I'd advise you continue your Truvada until you consult with an HIV specialist. He will take a more detailed history to further assess your exposure risk/severity. Armed with that additional information, he may or may not decide to intensify your PEP regimen. You can read much more about PEP and the latest updated version of nPEP (nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis) guidelines in the archives of this forum.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HIV+ hetro couple need help
Foolish UK Guy, Follow Up

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint