Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Summer fling, not sure what to think, Dr. Bob

Hi Dr. Bob-

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for the great work you do on this site, and with your Foundation as well. You're a source of great help and comfort to a lot of people, and I'm sure you've been told that a lot, but I think it's worth saying again.

Well, here's my deal...late June, I hooked up with this girl I met online. We had protected vaginal sex (condom did not slip off, or appear to break), and she performed unprotected oral sex on me, and I performed unprotected oral sex on her. A few weeks later (roughly), we hooked up again, this time only protected vaginal sex, and she gave me a blowjob. Weeks later, the same...protected vaginal, and a blowjob. Same thing (protected vaginal and blowjob) again a week or two later. The last time, she just gave me a blow job, but it was again unprotected.

In the middle of all this, and shortly after, I started to notice that I was breaking out on my back (and pretty much only there). Also, I noticed for a while that I had some white spots, but only on my tonsils. No fever that I know of.

So anyway, I just have a few questions, if you don't mind...first, what's my risk? Second, if the condoms didn't pop, or fail in an obvious way, do I have to worry at all about that? I'm just wondering if it's possible to have a really small, almost unnoticeable break in them that would cause a problem. (Nothing seemed to leak out, as far as I know, though.) And lastly, does the breaking out on my back, or spots on my tonsils, seem like a cause for concern?

Thanks so much, Dr. Bob!

Hey Summer Fling-Guy,

Thanks for your kind comments. I'll respond to your question very briefly and refer you to the archives for a more detailed explanation if needed, because I've answered at least a gazillion questions ("protected vaginal, unprotected oral") exactly like yours over the years. (Have a look!)

Briefly, protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Oral sex carries only a very minimal risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. Symptoms are unreliable in predicting who is infected. Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). If you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark (from date of last possible exposure). The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your summer fling-thing.

Be well.

is this unusual-part 3
We are so weak and all advanced symptoms, Now without diagnosis