Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Summer fling, not sure what to think, Dr. Bob

Aug 16, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob-

First of all, I just wanted to thank you for the great work you do on this site, and with your Foundation as well. You're a source of great help and comfort to a lot of people, and I'm sure you've been told that a lot, but I think it's worth saying again.

Well, here's my deal...late June, I hooked up with this girl I met online. We had protected vaginal sex (condom did not slip off, or appear to break), and she performed unprotected oral sex on me, and I performed unprotected oral sex on her. A few weeks later (roughly), we hooked up again, this time only protected vaginal sex, and she gave me a blowjob. Weeks later, the same...protected vaginal, and a blowjob. Same thing (protected vaginal and blowjob) again a week or two later. The last time, she just gave me a blow job, but it was again unprotected.

In the middle of all this, and shortly after, I started to notice that I was breaking out on my back (and pretty much only there). Also, I noticed for a while that I had some white spots, but only on my tonsils. No fever that I know of.

So anyway, I just have a few questions, if you don't mind...first, what's my risk? Second, if the condoms didn't pop, or fail in an obvious way, do I have to worry at all about that? I'm just wondering if it's possible to have a really small, almost unnoticeable break in them that would cause a problem. (Nothing seemed to leak out, as far as I know, though.) And lastly, does the breaking out on my back, or spots on my tonsils, seem like a cause for concern?

Thanks so much, Dr. Bob!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Summer Fling-Guy,

Thanks for your kind comments. I'll respond to your question very briefly and refer you to the archives for a more detailed explanation if needed, because I've answered at least a gazillion questions ("protected vaginal, unprotected oral") exactly like yours over the years. (Have a look!)

Briefly, protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Oral sex carries only a very minimal risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. Symptoms are unreliable in predicting who is infected. Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). If you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark (from date of last possible exposure). The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your summer fling-thing.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
is this unusual-part 3
Next
We are so weak and all advanced symptoms, Now without diagnosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.