The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

rapid test negative, EIA/WB indeterminate

Aug 16, 2008

Against my better judgement, I had unprotected sex with a SW. At 5 weeks after the incident, I went to the county health dept and they drew blood for the EIA test. After a month of waiting, they told me the results were indeterminate. I then (10 weeks after the incident) went to a facility that does rapid tests and the results were negative. I took another rapid test at 15 weeks and it was also negative. My question is, should I be concerned about the first test being indeterminate, or should I take solace in the 10 week and 15 week rapid test results?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are HIV negative. I'll make several quick points:

1. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

2. An indeterminate HIV-screening test followed by a negative test (or, in your case, two negative tests) is conclusive evidence that you are HIV negative.

3. Should you be concerned about the first indeterminate test? Nope! You should rely entirely on your two negative tests taken outside the window period and yell WOO-HOO!

You can read much more about HIV testing in general as well as indeterminate test results in the archives of this forum in the chapter entitled "HIV Testing/Test Results." Have a look!

Be well. Stay well. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Really concerned about reinfection (SUPERINFECTION, DUAL INFECTION, 2008)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint