Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP testing! (answer this one)
Aug 15, 2008

Hi, i had unprotected receptive sex with a hiv male (obviously didnt know this at the time). I received PEP, while i was on PEP i had a fever after 2 weeks that lasted about 5 days. After i had finished PEP my lymph nodes in my neck swelled. I had a 3 month post-finishing pep test. It came back negative woo! but 4 months post-pep my lymph nodes in my neck are still swollen (the nurse at the GUM clinic verified they were swollen). Surely if they were swollen a week after finishing PEP the test would have picked antibodies up three months later? the test was an elisa i think but instead of testing for the p24 antibody im pretty sure they said it tested for the p24 antigen - i.e. to spot active viral infection as well. I am obviously going back after 6 months post pep to test again. My question - since my lypmh nodes were swollen for 2.5 months before the test shouldnt it have picked it up if hiv was the reason for the swelling? also i stand a good chance of being negative at 6 months dont i? THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH, Robert J Frascino a.k.a. Hero! p.s. can you reply to this one i sent the q without entering my email before :/

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your three-moth (post-PEP) negative ELISA and p24 antigen test are extremely encouraging. The guidelines for post-PEP HIV screening recommend one more HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark. Your chances of being HIV negative are excellent.

Regarding "symptoms," they are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Rely on your test results, not vague symptoms that could be caused by a wide variety of ailments.

Finally, remember never to put yourself at such risk ever again. No glove. No love. No exceptions.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Band-aid Concern
Next
Worried + man in discordant relationship

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.