Worried as Heck!!! Please respond.

Well, on July 4 i had an unprotected oral bj from another guy I do not know. I did not notice any blood at all, etc. I had not cuts on my penis. He used spit as a lube at one point as well. August 15 will be exactly 6 weeks since the exposure. I plan on going to the clinic and getting a rapid oral test. In the 3rd week I had some very bad stomach pains that went away in a week. On August 9th I came down with what seems to be a bad cold, lots of mucas, started green and now it is just lots of flem coming out. The other person may have slightly rub their penis on my anus but no penatration was done. We also rub our penises together at one point. Is what I am experiencing ARS? Please answer me. These last 6 weeks have been very stressfull. I had a test at the 2 week mark which was negative. Thanks much Dr. What is the address for donation. I would like to send something to your foundation. Many Thanks.

Your "symptoms" are not consistent with or suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). I'll repost some information about acute retroviral syndrome symptoms below.

Regarding HIV-antibody testing, please note that testing prior to the three-month mark is not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found at the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. The foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Thank you for your interest in helping those in desperate need. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test remains negative. The statistical odds remain astronomically in your favor.

What exactly are the symptoms of ARS? Nov 15, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Hi there. I've been reading through many of the postings in this forum. Most of the people who write-in are labeled "worried wells" and you tell them that their symptoms are not consistent with the true symptoms of ARS.

I was wondering if you could share with us what you believe the true symptoms of ARS to be. I've found lots of websites describing them, but I want to hear it from a reputable and definitive source such as yourself.

Thanks a lot.

Sure, just check the archives. I've discussed this many times before. I'll repost below just one of the questions that addresses the signs and symptoms associated with primary HIV infection.

Stay well. Be informed, not worried, O.K.?

Me again! Aug 14, 2005

Hi DOc,

You responded to my initial question a few weeks back - thank you so much. You also responded to my partner who was recently diagnosed positive - that was so helpful. Incidentally, I think it was the first time he used a computer in his life - so you achieved more than I have with him there!

Anyway, sorry to bother you again - its now 8 / 9 weeks since my last exposure - I think I am imagining swollen glands all the time! Could you kindly answer two small questions. Firstly, how long after infection do people normally get ARS and symptoms? Secondly, what symmptoms are characteristic?

Thankyou for helping. My partner is being really strong - andw e will get through this together, I love that american term worry well - yes I am a british one of those, sorry!! xx

Hi Brit-Boy,

You're welcome!

Chances are you are indeed "imagining" swollen glands all the time. Regarding ARS, symptoms generally appear 1-3 weeks of contracting the virus. Sometimes symptoms may not appear until 4-6 weeks. It is called a syndrome (Acute Retroviral Syndrome), because it is a collection of symptoms that can be extremely variable form person to person. In fact, symptoms alone are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection. It is estimated that 40-90% of acutely infected folks will have some ARS symptoms. But to specifically answer your question, the following is a list of symptoms associated with ARS and the percentage of time the symptoms are present:

Fever 96%

Adenopathy 74%

Pharyngitis 70%

Rash 70%

Myalgias 54%

Headache 32%

Diarrhea 32%

Nausea or vomiting 27%

Hepatosplenomegaly 14%

Thrush 12%

Neurologic symptoms 12%

The duration of symptoms is generally 1-3 weeks.

Regarding your lover's use of the computer, now that he's discovered the wonders of Internet look out!!!! He just may get so hooked that the only way you'll be able to converse with him is via IM-ing!

Good luck!

Oral sex with prostitute-Scared like hell.
Rash after I changed my regiment