Prenatal Testing and Nervous

I just found out I am pregnant which I know will probably require an HIV test. As a little background, I am now 27 and happily married. Around the time I was 20, and in college, I had an "oops" (no condom) moment with a fraternity guy. Within a week, I had what seemed to be the flu (this was in January.) Ever since then, I have had the little "wondering" in my mind if I could have gotten HIV. I went to the Dr. with that flu, and it seems he may have some a mouth swab which revealed it was the flu, but I can't totally remember. I realize its unlikely. I have actually seen this guy in the last few months and he looked healthy. The fact that this test is most likely coming up has just re-kindled these fears.

I have had no "HIV" symptoms since then. Of note though, a few years ago, I developed a severe MRSA infection that got in my bloodstream. It was suspected that I got it from the gym. I know the infectious disease doctor "ran a lot of tests just to check things" which all showed normal ranges (other than an elevated white count at the time due to the infection.) I don't THINK she did an HIV test, but she declared me perfectly healthy after the incident. I've had other CBCs done just in routine check-ups since then, all of which were normal. My husband has never been with anyone else other than me (we have been together since shortly after the incident mentioned above.) Am I freaking out over nothing??? Thank you so much.

Are you freaking out over nothing? Most likely yes. However, since you did "oops," you also put yourself at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. I'm amazed that you're still worrying about it a full seven years after "oopsing." When it comes to HIV/AIDS, denial can be deadly! My advice would be to get a rapid HIV test without delay, particularly in light of your pregnancy. The results are available "rapidly!" (within 20 minutes). The statistical odds you did not contract HIV are astronomically in your favor; however, only an FDA-approved HIV-screening test taken outside the window period (first three months after primary infection) can provide you with a conclusive and definitive answer.

So stop being "nervous" or "freaking out" or "rekindling old fears." Just do what you should have done seven years ago and put this issue permanently to rest.

Good luck!

Western blot after Rapid Negative Result
CAN I GET HIV FROM CONTAMINATED GEL