Negative Top, Positive Bottom

Dr. Bob, I know you've answered this type of question several times before, but I'm actually looking for a specific point. There is tons of information on HIV out there, and opinions, statements, and statistics about risks. The overflow of information is actually what brings up my question. I'm a negative and very healty top with a positive and otherwise very healthy bottom (his viral load is undetectable, all other stats are "impressive" according to his doc), but I know that the question about losing the condoms will come up at some point. I don't want to throw away the topic, but rather have an informed and accurate discussion - we all know that there is no way to have sex with no risk, and the best option is to have safe sex, but stats on anything else are hard to come by (since it would require a known risk to conduct such a study - and that's a little conflict with your oath). What I'm hoping for is information as to where the best place to find out about things like clinical trials for HIV preventative drugs, as well as anything about these so-called "transmission blockers" I've seen highlighted in web searches. Thanks, Doc.

Fool in Love (but hopefully an Informed Fool)

The best place to find out about clinical trials in your area is to ask an HIV specialist. Perhaps your partner can ask his doc. Or maybe you could even go with him to one of his appointments and spend a few minutes discussing this topic. As of August 2008, there are five human clinical trials of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) ongoing and two ready to begin in early 2009. This might be an option for you. However, since we don't know how effective PrEP will be, I'd still recommend not losing the condoms just yet!

Truvada
A fight with a bleeding hand.... transmission??