Truvada

Is there any proof clinically that Truvada works as a PEP drug? I had a somewhat risky event and my doctor put me on Truvada. I'm curious is there has been proof of its success. I was told by a doctor friend that most of the trials were done on monkeys and that the success was minimal. I don't see that as a reason NOT to take it, but I am curious about what has been shown in studies as far as Truvada and preventing HIV. I started the drug 12 hrs after the incident. Thank you for your thoughts.

See below.

Truvada / PEP May 7, 2008

Dear Dr. Frascino,

Many thanks for this excellent forum.

I had sustained (prob 10 minutes) unprotected sex (passive anal) with someone I have to assume is HIV+.

The following morning I was prescribed Truvada by my doctor for 30 days and began taking it about 11 hours after the sex.

I have not been able to contact an HIV specialist in the area because it is the weekend. But I'm wondering if you think the Truvada is sufficient or if I should be taking it in combination with something else.

Many thanks.

Truvada is a fixed-dose combination of emtricitabine and tenofovir. Depending on the type and severity of the potential HIV exposure, some HIV specialists will recommend two-drug PEP while others may opt for an expanded three-drug regimen. I'd advise you continue your Truvada until you consult with an HIV specialist. He will take a more detailed history to further assess your exposure risk/severity. Armed with that additional information, he may or may not decide to intensify your PEP regimen. You can read much more about PEP and the latest updated version of nPEP (nonoccupational post-exposure prophylaxis) guidelines in the archives of this forum.

I came to you for advice because of your fantastic picture...
Negative Top, Positive Bottom