Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alex, your mexican friend...low risk..many times = high risk???
Aug 10, 2008

Hello Dr. Bob, i hope that you still remember me, i wrotte a couple of times before.

It's nice to writte you again, are you in the México City?? If that's true, enjoy your stay in my beautiful country, and don't forget to eat some "tacos"..."pozole" and of course...drink a "margarita"..now i-m proud for to be mexican,and would be a pleasure if you are now in my city.

Now there's a lot of information about AIDS and HIV, in the TV, Radio, Newspaper, and Local websites in México,but......why only now???only when the entire world put their eyes in my country. Anyway, i hope that this could be the begining for something bigger and better, in HIV prevention and treatment.

The last year was a little strange to me.I was very active sexually, (around of 8 diferent sexual partners). I always tried to be consistent with the safe sex guidelines, i always used condom in vaginal intercourse, and when i recieve oral sex, i could say that the 100% of my sexual encounters were protected.

I know, if a condom is properly used, there's a minimal risk,and an HIV test could be not necesary. But i'm wondering,...the same condition works when someone have many sexual partners (and i'm still single,by the way)..even when the condom (never broken or sliped of) was always used,???

In this case....many minimal risk could mean a high risk.....that could make an HIV test necessary???

I just want to be certain.....in TELSIDA(Aids Information Hotline) told me that there`s no problem, and theres no reason to be worried, test its not necessary....what do you think????

Thank you for you answer!!!!!!!

I send you my best wishes!!!!!And my love and hapinnes karma.....and i'm happy for to writte to you again..my friend.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hola Alex,

¡Sí, estoy en la Ciudad de México! And the margaritas and enchiladas are wonderful.

One of the reasons we decided to hold the International AIDS Conference in México was to put the world's spotlight on Latin America so that HIV awareness, prevention and treatment could be scaled up! From the news conferences I've seen, it seems to be working!

Regarding your question, I absolutely agree with the advice you received from TELSIDA. Multiple minimal risks only equal multiple minimal risks! Testing is not warranted if a latex condom was used properly for penetrative sex and did not fail (break).

Alex, my friend, continue to play safe and you'll stay safe. Thanks for your good wishes, love and karma!

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worried after PEP
Next
A state of utter desperation!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.