Follow up question.Donation sent and more to come + a small gift for you

Hi Dr Bob,

As promised, I have donated Rs 500 cant remember the confirmation no. as I thought it would be emailed. It was made by Master card ending with XXXX. This is a small donation and I would definitely be donating this month itself as your organization is doing a wonderful and sacred job. A decent man does not become poor by donating a few dollars but it can definately help thousands of people who are really in need. I am a very spiritually inclined person so I would also want to gift you a chain of Tulsi bought from the birth place of the god that has talked about Karmas! Would your charitable organization address be good enough to post it by mail? Tulsi is a very sacred thing and wearing it means a lot religiously and has some very strong scientific reasons behind it too. So please do wear it once you receive it. I know you are too busy to answer my stupid questions but I would request you to please give me one last answer and I promise not to trouble you again, for sure (attaching the original post below with your response) Just to let you know that 4 days post the incident with the roadside prostitute, I went to a govt HIV counseling center in Delhi and showed them my wound they gave me the same response as you gave i.e. no testing is required and no need to worry. However my worry habit (I am a strong paranoid right from my childhood) had it on me so I kept worrying.I decided to catch the same prostitute again and talk to her and see if she had any cuts. 1 week post the incident, I caught her, she said she gets tested every month and is OK. I also requested her to show if she had any cuts, I could not find any except some scars that she said were about a year old.(this was 1 week post I touched her) 1.My worry now is what if there was a mosquito bite that might be bleeding. I tried rubbing on one of mine and could see an extremely tiny spot of blood when rubbed it harshly but the strange thing was that when I touched it with my finger I could not see any blood or even mark of it on my finger. 2.As you said HIV testing is not medically warranted or recommended. Do you think I should be tested at all, if it were not for psychological reasons? It has been 20 days since the incident do I really need to torture myself mentally for another 2 months and wait for testing. I am totally destroyed mentally and cant concentrate on my work or family at all right now. Your advice means a lot to your readers and fans like me. 3.Is there any reason for me to be worried except the guilt part which I am trying to sort. I just want to forget the whole thing and move on and never repeat the mistake again. Would that be safe for my partner i.e. not getting tested post the incident and moving on? I know testing cannot be replaced by any comments however your comments of not recommending the testing and that my fears are unwarranted is what meant more to me and would still ensure my peace of mind.

Thanks a lot! Worried Indian Man

Original Post Hi Doc First of all let me tell you that I really appreciate and respect you a lot. I am an Indian and would request you to visit India and the spiritual places here Youll love them. I will be sending a donation of Rs 500 by this weekend. Please dont consider this as a bribe to answer my question, it is my small contribution to the good work that your organization is doing. Now the storyI am 28 years old male, living in India. I had accidently (with some sharp object on a pillar) got a deep cut near the top of my thumb. I am saying deep because the bleeding was Off and On for more than 1 hour. I had applied bandaid at night and removed it in the morning however it still had the wound there that was healing. For 2-3 days it was paining and then the pain stopped however I could see the very very small cut that was there on the wound but it did not pain when came in contact with water, salt etc. Seems that the skin below the wound was getting healed. 6 days post this incident, I picked up a roadside prostitute in my car. I was a little drunk but still in my senses (God's Grace) so did not do any kind of sex. What I did was that I touched (softly rubbed, caressing) her upper body and legs with my hand for some time. Here are my worries. I would request you to please help me out since I am married and one ,am feeling extremely guilty about what I did and am not getting the courage to speak to my wife, moreover I want to ensure that she does not suffer because of my foolishnesses. My questions:- 1. How long would such a wound take to cure? As written earlier, it was 6 days post this wound that I carrassed the girl. 2. Although, I do not recall seeing any blood on the wounded thumb, is it possible that a small blood drop from her leg might have got on my thumb? Could it go into a 6 day old wound that was healing? 3. Do I need to go for a test due to this episode to ensure safety of my partner?

Hello, Thank you for your kind comments and donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated. Regarding your specific questions, your fears are unwarranted. 1. Wounds, depending on severity, take various amounts of time to heal. Without examining your "deep cut," I really cannot give you a specific timeframe for healing. However, from what you describe, your wound (six-days old) was well along in the healing process and would not pose any significant HIV risk if it were to come into contact with HIV-infected fluids. 2. No, the chance of this happening and transmitting HIV is so remote it is essentially nonexistent. 3. No, HIV testing would not be medically warranted or recommended. However, if you continue to perseverate on HIV, despite my reassurance, get an HIV-antibody test (rapid, test, ELISA, EIA) at the three-month mark. It will undoubtedly be negative, but if this helps put your worries permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort. Finally, you report you are feeling extremely guilty. I suggest you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Good luck. Dr. Bob

1. Your worries about mosquito bites and bleeding are completely unwarranted.

2. My opinion has not changed. See #3 in my original post above. (Testing prior to the three-month mark is not considered to be definitive.)

3. No, none whatsoever. Yes, you should move on. However, considering your description of yourself as "a strong paranoid right from my childhood" and your persistent irrational worries about HIV. I would strongly advise you seek psychological counseling to help you confront and conquer your paranoia, irrational fear of HIV and anxiety-and-guilt problems.

Regarding gifts to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, the mailing address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Thank you for your kind words, donation and gift. I'll gladly wear the chain of Tulsi.

Safe Sex With My HIV + Partner
can HPV be transmitted thru oral sex?