Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

It's me....!!!!
Aug 10, 2008

Yep Alabama Girl...and doing great thank You! Really mean that...you have been a great source of support to me! I have a problem with my family. I am an older adult and have old aged parents and middle aged daughters. They seem totally uninterested in HIV/Aids and deliberately stick their heads in the sand when it comes to my status. My friends are pretty much in the same frame of mind. My concern is that if everybody sticks their head in the sand...saying it's not happening to me so it's of no concern......then we are in a very precarious position as a nation. To say or even think 'that is you and not me' is opening us all up to being suspectible to this disease...whether it is the disease itself or the lacksidasical general feeling for the one infected. I can not understand why my disease is not considered a 'family disease' such as alcoholism-it does or should affect the entire family in some way. I am never asked how I'm doing. I am never engaged in conversation about the disease-whether it is how it affects me personally, affects them as my loved ones who may one day have to deal with my Aids related death..or how the members of my family, any family could contract it as well under their certain circumstances-young, single, promiscuous...

Well, it appears I just needed to vent..not much for fodder I suppose.

I just returned from my family reunion and have seen the power of denial first hand...again. *sigh*

I will be seeing my HIV clinic in Sept where I will again have the option to start meds if I want to. I do not feel confident in 'leaving it up to me-the novice'. Where is the ultimate professional advice here? Maybe if they asked if I want to live a bit longer the choice would be obvious......but it's always been an 'iffie' sort of treatment choice left to me.

Gads......I am filled up to here with family dynamics and my thinking (and speech/writing skills) are alot to to be desired. I hope that you can sense I am once again....down in the fricking dumps due to no one understanding me "Wah Wah'...I know-you don't have to say it! lol

How are you my good man? I presume psychologically more sound then I am at this point! lol

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Alabama Gal,

I'm presently in Mexico City attending the International AIDS Conference. The apathy toward HIV/AIDS and denialism you discuss is rampant worldwide. After listening to the presentations here, I say it's epidemic in proportion! We are trying to confront these issues globally. However, I believe it's essential to think globally and act locally! In other words, why the hell are you waiting for your clueless and insensitive family to ask you about HIV/AIDS? Why not just talk about it nonstop to all of them until they get the message? Give it a try. You'd be amazed how effective this technique can be! Try it; you'll like it! (They'll hate it, but you'll like it and it will ultimately be good for them!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
masturbating with used condoms
Next
catalytic antibodies

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.