Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DOUBTS
Aug 10, 2008

Dear Mr. Frascino,

it looks to me that you have an Italian origin, haven't you? I'm writing from Italy and I have a couple of questions for you. By the way, my compliments for you excellent website!

Here are my questions. I am HIV negative. I recently had insertive oral sex without condom with a woman I don't know her hiv status. I had it twice and I ejaculated both times in her mouth and I also fingered her. I also tried to have protected vaginal sex with condom but I actually didn't come inside her properply cause I couldn't keep erection, I only put my glans into her vagina for 30 seconds with condom on all the time which didn't slip off. We also deep kissed all along. She didnt have any sore or blood in her mouth.

1) do you you think I actually took a risk?

2) do you think I should take the test? Or it would only be for the reason of anxiety and not for having incurred in a real risk?

Actually, here in Italy, anti HIV associations say that insertive oral sex ("fellatio") has no risk, but for the presence of visible blood in the mouth (as in the case of the aftermath of a dentist appointment). The same is actually the view of the Swiss HIV agency, which says that fellatio carry no risk for men, only for women in the case of ejaculation.

What do you think about it? You comments would be really welcomed.

Thank you very much.

Best regards. Massimiliano

Response from Dr. Frascino

Buon giorno Massimiliano,

Yes, I'm Italian. Well, at least all four of my grandparents were.

1. Protected vaginal sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Oral sex, particularly insertive oral sex, carries an extremely low potential risk for HIV acquisition.

2. The reason to consider HIV testing would primarily be to calm any irrational fears or anxieties. HIV testing is readily available. The decision to test or not is really up to you. In general, I tend to agree with the Italian and Swiss recommendations. However, I would continue to rate oral sex as an extremely low potential risk, primarily due to rare extenuating circumstances.

Ciao,

Dr. Bob

Previous
I like bush
Next
I come to you for advice because of your fantastic picture.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.