The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral candidiasis

Aug 8, 2008

Dr BOB: i need your advice,the question is the following :i realized a fingering on may 2007,i realized ELISA tests at 3,4,5 and 7 months,all of them negative.I was diagnosed with oral candidiasis 2 months after fingering,it means august 2007 , one month before first test at 3 months mark.Is oral candidiasis relevant,important for the tests i had at 3,4,5,and 7 months mark,all of them negative ?.Is it posible oral candidiasis may change the results of the tests,that is my question.I admire you,i am sending dollars 150 for your foundation.I hope you are fine,i send my best wishes to you.


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hola Diego,

Oral candidiasis would not affect the accuracy of HIV-screening tests. Your negative ELISA tests at three, four, five and seven months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem and HIV is not the cause of your candidiasis. I can't diagnose the exact cause over the Internet, but I can, with great certainty, advise you that you don't have to worry about HIV being the culprit.

Fingering is not considered a significant HIV-transmission/acquisition risk, assuming the skin on your fingers is intact.

Thank you for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Your one gift will touch many lives.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Im totally freaked out
HIV Risk

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint