This has to stop!

Dear Dr. I recently read about the revised HIV statistics. They indicate that 56,300 new cases of HIV were diagnosed in 2006. The data shows that 15,000 to 18,000 Americans die every year of AIDS. I believe that as a nation we are failing to send a direct and graphic message to people concerning this disease. Many people think it is a simple trick to treat HIV. However, the expense and side effects of drugs are very alarming. Perhaps the pharmaceutical giants and their Republican owners really do not want this plague to stop. Also in 2006, 15,000 women contacted the disease. I bet you most of these women were on their backs and who put them there...men. Men who were more interested in their sexual desires than the health of their partner. I may be naive or ugly but I have yet to meet a woman who threw me on a bed as fast as she could. One slogan, "Relax that man on top of you just gave you an incurable disease that will cost you 200,000 dollars to treat and kills 18,000 of your fellow Americans annually. Would you prefer to use your Visa of Master Card?

Your rage is appropriate and welcomed! Too many Americans (and other citizens of the world) have been far too apathetic for far too long. We need to heed this wakeup call. Some of us have been yelling our heads off for years, but only very few have been listening. Perhaps these new numbers will indeed get folks to wake up and smell the AZT!

That said, we need to be accurate and honest about the numbers and what they mean. Placing blame that isn't warranted won't help. The majority of new infections in the U.S. were not deliberate! The statistics show most new infections are transmitted from HIV-infected folks who do not know they are HIV positive. Over 25% of the estimated one million Americans infected with HIV have no idea they have contracted the virus. This group, as it turns out, is responsible for most of the new infections. Once someone knows their HIV status, they are more likely to use protection and decrease the number of their sexual partners. Next, regarding women in the U.S. who do have the right and the power to say "no glove, no love, no exceptions" (except in the case of rape), it is important to remember it takes two to do the unsafe sexual horizontal mattress mambo! As for women on their backs, well, 73 percent of HIV transmissions in the USA occurred among men with male-to-male contact, accounting for 53 percent of HIV transmissions. So it would appear that some men have been staring at more ceilings than Michelangelo. As for women who wanted to throw a man on a bed as fast as she could, I've met a few in my day. And, going back a number of years, let them have their way with me. (And it was great, by the way!) More recently, the women who want to throw me on a bed are convinced they can "cure" my being gay, insisting I just haven't met the right woman yet. Needless to say, these gals are as misguided as Cheney's energy plan. But I digress . . . . I'm not downplaying gender inequality worldwide and it's effect on HIV transmission, however when discussing the newly revised CDC statistics we need to remain accurate as far as what the new numbers mean. Getting back to the topic at hand, I have a lot to say about the new numbers and our current ineffective HIV-prevention effort. Since I see many questions in my inbox related to this issue, I'll spread my comments over several questions. Stay tuned. Keep your anger focused. Become part of the solution! Welcome to the fight.

Would you be interested in settling a debate? I will donate the winnings if I win!
passive aggressive