re: BAREBACK PARTY

I had to comment on this one Doctor. Either this guy is making up this story or he lacks common sense. It's sad there are people out their taking risks and destroying their health and others. I emailed you before saying I feel the only close cure is education. I know I am dream wishing.

BAREBACK PARTY Hey doc i was just invited to a hot bareback party here in west hollywood.SHOULD I BRING CONDOMS JUST INCASE???they said strictly bareback and poz friendly as well.

Response from Dr. Frascino Hello,

A "strictly bareback poz-friendly party"???? Hmmm . . . . Why would you even consider attending? Were the Russian roulette and skydiving-without-a-parachute parties too difficult to get an invitation to?

Come on, Dude. Wake up and smell the AZT!

I doubt he's making up the part about barebacking parties, as I have seen advertisements for these unfortunate events in several cities. These events merely reflect the undeniable fact that our HIV-prevention efforts are grossly inadequate. Although it may be somewhat heretical to say this, I believe it's time we buried the outdated "ABC" prevention campaign (Abstinence, Be faithful, Condoms). It's not relevant to many communities that are epicenters of the pandemic. It's overly simplistic and it's been well demonstrated that it doesn't work in many settings. We need far more complex combination prevention approaches that specifically target communities, such as these sexually active groups that are rejecting condoms in favor of barebacking. I agree education is an extremely important component of any prevention equation, but what we really need a positive combination prevention portfolio from which we select specific effective programs designed for specific communities.

covered by pep
Would you be interested in settling a debate? I will donate the winnings if I win!