AM I AT RISK

VERY WORRIED AND STRESSED OUT.. THIS INCIDENT HAPPENED IN APRIL. I AM A GAY MALE AND HAD ORAL SEX WITH ANOTHER MAN .I RECENTLY FOUND OUT HE IS HIV POSITIVE. DR. I AM VERY WORRIED THAT I MIGHT HAVE HIV .. WE HAD ORAL SEX AND SOME RIMMING AND KISSING . THERE WAS NO ANAL INTERCOURSE OF ANY SORT. THERE WAS NO BLOOD VISIBLE ON BOTH MY PENIS OR HIS PENIS . NOT AWARE OF ANY BLOOD IN HIS MOUTH OR IN MY MOUTH .. BEOFRE I DID MEET WITH HIM I DID BRUSH MY TEETH. GOT INTO THE ACT ABOUT AN HOUR AFTER I BRUSHED MY TEETH. WE WERE DRINKIGN RUM BEFORE THAT TOO. HE DID NOT EJACULATE IN MY MOUTH AND NEITHER DID I. I WAS NOT SURE IF THERE WAS ANY PRE SEMEN VISIBLE .. I JUST NOTE AFTER THE INCIDENT I WAS VERY ILL FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS .. I HAD NO FEVER BUT HAD A SWOLLAN THROAT AND WAS VERY SLEEPY AND WEAK . I WENT TO SEE MY DOCTOR AND HE GAVE ME SOME ANTIBIOTICS AND TESTED FOR MONO .. THE TEST FOR MONO CAME BACK NEGATIVE AND AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS BACK TO NORMAL .. HAVEN'T HAD ANY SYMPTOMS SINCE .. AM I AT RISK? .. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT I MIGHT HAVE COME IN CONTACT WITH HIV .. PLEASE ADVISE, VERY SCARED... I JUST RECENTLY BEEN EXPLORING MY SEXUALITY.. JUST NEW TO ALL THIS ...

Hello Very Worried and Stressed Out,

WOW. WRITING IN ALL CAPS. YOU REALLY ARE STRESSED OUT, NOW AREN'T YOU??!!

Because you identify yourself as a gay male who has recently been exploring his sexuality, now is the ideal time to get informed about safer sexual techniques and HIV/STD prevention. Of course, having learned this information before beginning your "exploration" would have been even better!

Safer sexual techniques are essential to maintaining your health and HIV-negative status. We need to assume all our sexual partners and conquests are HIV positive and take all the necessary precautions to maintain our health and not transmit/acquire the virus. That way, if you find out after the fact that a previous boyfriend or hot trick turns out to be positive, you'll have no need to freak out. You can use this site, its archives and its related links to learn all about safer sexual techniques, HIV prevention and loads of other stuff as well. Check it out!

Oral sex carries only a very slight chance of HIV transmission/acquisition. We have a whole chapter devoted to this topic in the archives. Have a look!

There have been no documented cases of HIV transmission from rimming or getting rimmed, kissing or getting kissed. Brushing your teeth before noshing on a throbbing penis popsicle is not recommended, as it may traumatize your gums. That there was no ejaculation decreases HIV-transmission risk.

Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV.

My advice would be to get a single HIV-antibody test (ELISA, EIA, rapid) at the three-month mark. I would also advise you ratchet down your anxiety levels, as your degree of freak-out is not warranted, based on your minimal HIV risk.

Good luck. Get informed. Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Second Plea for Answers...Consistent with Seroconversion?
15 years on, would the immune system show anything up?