I'm amazed!!

Dr. Bob,

This is not a question, I just wanted to comment on an observation I have made reading these posts. First, I just started a new job for a non-for-profit agency who dedicates it's efforts to services for HIV+ people and also prevention for at risk populations. I am in the prevention department, and this is one of the allowed sites that I am able to read and waste my work time...ahem, I mean educate myself. I must admit that there was ALOT that I didn't know about HIV/AIDS risks/prevention/transmission before I was trained with this agency, and I'm a young and with-it woman! But seriously?!? Some of the questions and comments people leave you are the most uneducated and outright silly things I have ever heard! Sometimes I think people are making this shit up to just mess with you!I came from a mental health agency before this, I thought I heard it all! What is this world coming to? No, you can't get HIV from a mosquito, or from a stripper's vag touching your pants! I mean, c'mon people! Haha, I read this site everyday just for laughs. I even have told my co-workers about it! We get similar questions during our groups, and I have to try to take it seriously. I feel bad about laughing at these people for their obvious lack of education, but I can't help it! I know I shouldn't because it's not their fault if they're uninformed. You must be cracking up everyday with some of this crap! I know it's the education system that is creating these crazys, because I know I wouldn't have done all the stupid (unprotected) shit I've done in the past if I only knew what I know now about HIV. I have never voted, but I'll be sure that Obama gets my voting virginity. I'm not political but this country has gone to shambles. At least Massachusetts has the right idea legalizing gay marriages! My sister is psyched ;)Anyways, keep up the good work and I'll be here reading it all! Hahahahaha!

luv, prevention girl

Hey there Prevention Girl,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and for your comments. Also, thanks for turning your coworkers on to this site. I know many HIV support groups that now use this site to help answer questions that arise during their sessions. Chances are incredibly good that if someone is concerned about a particular sexual adventure, no matter how bizarre or outlandish, I've already addressed the topic and a witty retort plus the factual scientific information about the potential risk is already posted in the archives. So if someone is concerned about having hot raw monkey sex at the zoo or getting a hummer in a Hummer, I've already addressed the topic! As for folks "making this shit up," yes, it's possible, but I tend to screen much of that juvenile behavior out by not posting the questions, such as those from questioners claiming Dick Cheney gave them head. I mean really now, could anyone even get sexually aroused with the thought of the Dark Lord of Halliburton getting ready to chomp down on his Mr. Happy? (Insert total body shiver here.)

I very much appreciate your honest comment ". . . I know I wouldn't have done all the stupid (unprotected) shit I've done in the past if I only knew what I know now about HIV."!!! That comment speaks volumes about our need to get age-appropriate, science-based sexual education back into our schools. Dubya's abstinence-only-until-marriage sexual education programs have been a catastrophic failure, which perfectly reflects Bush's legacy as president. Yes, it's time for change and Obama is the man to bring it on! McCain has become McBush, McSame and, more recently, McNasty. The old geezer should be scouting out nursing homes, not trying to park his rocking chair in the Oval Office!

Prevention Girl, I welcome you with open arms to the fight against HIV/AIDS.

re: HIV-1 proviral DNA by PCR
Please adivce, Risk of Transmission - nude bar