Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alcohol and meds
Aug 1, 2008

Hello Dr, I must say I enjoy reading your forum, I've learned so much about HIV and AIDS since my now husband was diagnosed last year. I now tell other people about this website. Thank you for all the work that you do, it makes a lot of difference. Now to my questions. My husband has always been healthy until he contracted HIV, He's now on a cocktail regimen and is taking Tenofovir, Lopinavir and Viread, my question is he drinks about one 40 oz of beer every night and smokes marijauana, He takes his meds faithfully in the morning, will smoking and drinking have an affect on his meds. Also, he's afraid to have sex with me because he says he doesn't want to affect me and that he can't feel anything with the condom on. Is there something else that we can use so that he can get that flesh feeling that he says he doensn't feel. I love him so much and would never cheat on him and have and will always be there for him. Also we were watching television, Law & Order and they had an episode about HIV, and the statment was made that everyone with HIV and AIDS will die from the disease sooner or later is that true, because I'm always telling my husband he's not going anywhere as long as he take his meds. Thank you Dr, I know I've talked your ear off.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Downing a cold brewski and sparking a doobie at night will not affect your hubby's HIV medications.

Now that we've got that out of the way, what's this nonsense about his being afraid to have sex with you??? This is a problem that needs some attention! Start by having him read through the chapters in the archives of this forum devoted to magnetic couples, safer sexual techniques and sexual HIV prevention.

As for condoms, yes, they can decrease sensation somewhat; however, there are many different types of condoms to try. The polyurethane (as opposed to latex) condoms conduct heat better and he may find them more "pleasurable." There are also "ultra thin" condoms he could try. Check out the variety of condoms at www.condomania.com. As for the Law & Order show, I strongly disagree. The newer, more effective HIV medications only became available in 1996. Plus, we've had many novel new agents developed and approved since then. Our hope is that with the help of these new potent drugs taken as directed, we "virally enhanced" folks will die of old age, not old of AIDS. Don't believe everything you hear on television. After all, Bill O'Reilly is on television, right? And we all know what comes out of his mouth is pure unadulterated poppycock.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Was I misinformed??? (NAT TESTING 2008)
Next
Please ans doc fourth time lucky!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.