Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Giving false hopes?
Aug 1, 2008

Hey Doc,

Hope you're doing well. I'm a big admirer of what you do, and think you are a great person. However sometimes feel that you might be giving false hopes !! I had (and still have) a tongue yeast infection. I asked you about it a while ago, and you said the "vast, vast majority" of yeast infections have nothing to do with HIV. You have given the same response to other people too. My question is, for a healthy person, apart from antibiotics, inhalers, diabetes, and autoimmune diseases, there is not really any other cause that would cause yeast infection for months except for HIV. Isn't this the reason that doctors order HIV tests as soon as they see oral yeast infections? I'm just wondering if sometimes your optimistic point of view about things causes you to give false hopes to people, who actually are in trouble !! As for me, I have two painful nodes in armpits (they are enlarged, although I can't palpate them), two nodes under the jaw that are enlarged, and also a yeast infection that hasn't gone away for six months!! This IS HIV. I also got canker sores on my gum last night !!! I've never had anything like this. If this is not HIV, I am crazy. This is all happening three and a half years after an unprotected exposure with a woman with unknown status. The timing is perfect. The symptoms are real, and not cause by stress. Maybe it is time for me to move on and learn how to live with this.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"If this is not HIV, I am crazy." OK, assuming you've had an FDA-approved HIV test outside the window period and it's negative, we have definitive, conclusive and irrefutable proof it is not HIV. So I guess that means . . . yep, you're a whack job.

Dude, I don't give false hopes! Why would I? I'm HIV positive myself and I'm sitting at my computer answering anonymous questions. Frevinsakes! The problem isn't false hope; it's whack jobs who are so guilty about their actions they can't believe they haven't contracted HIV, despite overwhelming evidence they are negative. How you choose to live your life is up to you. However, what you choose to believe doesn't change the reality of your true HIV status.

Dr. Bob

Previous
why does this go on
Next
Was I misinformed??? (NAT TESTING 2008)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.