re: What is the funniest question ever???? (STRANGEST BUT TRUEST POSTS of 2007)

Dr. Bob, Yeah those questions were really great especially the shower curtain one. I would have loved to see the guy's face when he went into the shower the next day and saw his shower curtain all "gunked up". My 2 personal favorites are def the "Chicken bone guy" and the "pantie guy". I am sure you remember "Chicken Bone guy" and "Pantie Guy" was the one who kept stealing people's panties and masturbating with them. That's great stuff, but the real humor was in your responses.

Oh and thanks for answering my question. I was slightly concerned because I wasn't sure if a small non-bleeding cut, would be a risk if I were to come into contact with someone's blood or semen....Would you say that HIV is only transmitted by casual contact if both parties had openly bleeding cuts, and those cuts were rubbed together?...Would you agree on that?

Thanks Bob!

From the comments I've been getting over the last day or two, it seems like lots of readers are checking out "Chicken Bone Guy," "Panties-Guy" and "Shower Curtain Gal," as well as "Sneezing while Masturbating Guy." Personally, of the posts noted in that contest, I thought "Heineken-up-the-Heine Guy" might have scored higher.

As for your question, HIV cannot be transmitted by casual contact. Period. End of story. As for two folks both with openly bleeding wounds who rubbed the wounds together, that is not considered casual contact. (It might qualify for one of those ridiculous extreme wresting or boxing events, but certainly not "casual contact.") It would also qualify for a blood-to-blood exposure for anyone stupid enough to voluntarily do this. So don't, OK?

What is the funniest question ever???? (STRANGEST BUT TRUEST POSTS of 2007) Jul 31, 2008

Dr. Bob, Hello! Big fan of yours and I have to point out that I think the work you do is really amazing. I am sure you have heard this before but you should def right a book about funny stories. Also, if you were to write a biography I would most certainly read it. Anyway, I got 2 questions for you...one fun one serious.

1)Looking back on the years you have been doing this, what is the funniest, and most strange question you have ever received?

2)What exactly is blood to blood contact? I read where a woman was concerned about a paper cut, or small cut....you stated, only blood to blood contact would be a cause for worry. I think I know what you mean, but could I have an explanation? Thanks!

1. Well, I have my personal favorites, but I'd be more interested in knowing what you (or other readers) found most amusing, funny or bizarre. Actually, The Body did have a contest of sorts last year that looked at this very issue. (See below.) Some of these are indeed funny and weird, but there are others hidden deep in the archives that are even wilder in my opinion.

2. Blood-to-blood contact is exactly what it says: Fresh HIV-positive blood coming into contact with HIV-negative blood. An example would be an occupational exposure like mine where I sustained a hollow-bore needlestick and laceration while performing a medical procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS. Some of the patient's blood was injected into my wound and I seroconverted (despite PEP!). Other examples would be a blood transfusion using HIV-tainted blood, mother-to-infant transmission during childbirth and sharing intravenous drug paraphernalia where blood from an HIV infected individual could be contained in the shared needles and thereby injected into another individual using the same syringe.

A paper cut that is not actively bleeding is not a concern for HIV transmission.

Strangest but Truest Posts of 2007 in TheBody.com's "Ask the Experts" Forums

We're nearly 30 years into the HIV pandemic, yet a shocking number of people still appear not to know the first thing about HIV. We get to see some of that ignorance firsthand in our "Ask the Experts" forums, where we're sometimes amazed at just how little people have learned about HIV -- and about just how paranoid some folks can be about whether they've been exposed to the virus.

We scoured our "Ask the Experts" forums and nominated 10 posts we feel are the "best of the worst" of 2007 (or the worst of the worst, depending on how you look at it). They're some of the oddest, most nonsensical questions we've seen people ask about HIV this year. Some are shocking, some are sad, many are hilarious -- and they're all reminders of how far we still have to go to educate the world about HIV.

Readers of our "Hot Topics at The Body's 'Ask the Experts' Forums" newsletters voted on which of the 10 finalists represented the most bizarre post from our "Ask the Experts" forums during the past year. Each post was rated from 1 (not strange) to 5 (extremely strange). We then tallied up the votes, with a rating of 5 worth five points, and a rating of 1 worth one point.

Go to http://www.thebody.com/content/art44437.html to read the full article and click on the titles to see the winners (? losers).

How common is this STD?
HIV-1 proviral DNA by PCR