Safe Sex Serosorting works.

Serosorting is NOT just for barebackers (Unsafe sex), as these scientific studies explain. Also, Safe Sex Serosorting is NOT just for gay men.

For more than a decade, Serosorting has broken the cycle of new HIV transmissions, has made safe sex safer, and has reunited mankind to achieve a single, common goal to reignite the excitement of HIV Prevention.

Serosorting Having sex with your own HIV status. There are three forms of Serosorting, and two involve safe sex. Serosorting began back in the mid 1990s as an HIV Prevention and Harm Reduction Strategy in New York City, NY and has now become an international phenomenon.

The serosorting behavior our participants have reported could have reduced the number of new infections caused by people having random sexual occurrences by 99%, says Jeff McConnell, project director of the Positive Partner Study at the University of California, San Franciscos J. David Gladstone Institutes.

"There are other reasons why people may choose partners of the same serostatus beyond the risk of HIV transmission," Dr. William McFarland from the San Francisco Department of Public Health, California explained. "For example, HIV-positive persons may find more support in a relationship with another HIV-positive person because they share many more of the challenging aspects of living with HIV."

The investigator concluded: "Our observations and studies of serosorting may simply be documenting the rise of a community-generated HIV prevention strategy that is happening whether we have any control over it or not." Dr. McFarland said. (Sex Transm Infect 2006;82:461-466.)

Does serosorting work? In some American cities, evidence of a disconnect between rising rates of sexually transmitted infections but steady or declining rates of HIV incidence has been seen as evidence that serosorting is working. Two things are necessary for serosorting:

1) A high rate of HIV testing and, 2) Disclosure of status.

A number of different posters looked at rates of disclosure by HIV-positive people all over the world. A poster from Uganda (King) found that of 1,092 HIV-positive clients of the countrys largest AIDS NGO, TASO, 45% of them men, 42% of them had been sexually active in the past three months and of these 69% had disclosed their HIV status to their partner. Encouragingly, higher rates of disclosure were associated with higher rates of condom use, showing that the two activities are linked.

Finally, in an upbeat presentation, Fiona Percy-de Korte reported on high rates of disclosure among recipients of antiretrovirals in the Botswana National Treatment Programme.

Among this cross-sectional survey of 275 patients in two districts, she said that 90% of ARV recipients had disclosed their HIV status to family members, 71% to their spouse or partner, 54% to friends, 26% to a church leader, and 20% to their employer.

Seventy-three per cent said they always used a condom during sex. And 48% said they had reduced their number of sexual partners since diagnosis.(1)

There is plenty of evidence that serosorting exists as a behaviour. Jonathan Elford presented a poster showing that serosorting was common not only among HIV-positive gay men in the UK but also among Africans.(2)

Investigators from Sydney therefore looked at the serosorting behaviour of gay men known to be HIV-negative between 2002 and 2005. Although these men were not explicitly asked if they had serosorted, this behaviour was inferred from information they provided.

The practice of deliberately selecting partners of the same HIV status often called serosorting has been well described amongst HIV-positive gay men and even been credited with contributing to a fall in HIV incidence in San Francisco. Most investigators have looked at the serosorting behaviours of HIV-positive men and there are limited data on serosorting amongst HIV-negative gay men. There is also some evidence from the United States that HIV-negative men are increasingly avoiding sex with men who know they are HIV-positive. They also suggest that the internet may have a role in the apparent increase in serosorting. (3)

(1) Percy-de Korte F. Experiences of people living with AIDS (PLWA) following enrollment in the Botswana National Treatment Programme (BNTP). Sixteenth International AIDS Conference, Toronto, abstract WEAC0102, 2006. (2) Elford J et al. Serosorting among Africans living with HIV in London. Sixteenth International AIDS Conference, Toronto, abstract WEPDC05, 2006 (3) Mao L et al. Serosorting in casual anal sex of HIV-negative gay men is noteworthy and is increasing in Sydney, Australia. AIDS 20: 1204-1206, 2006. Abelson J et al. HIV optimism does not explain increases in high-risk sexual behaviour among gay men of positive or negative HIV status in Sydney, Australia. AIDS 20: 1215-1216, 2006.

Conclusion: For more than a decade, Serosorting has not only broken the cycle of NEW HIV transmissions and has made safe sex safer, but, Serosorting is the largest word of mouth HIV Prevention and Harm Reduction Strategy on the planet to date. And the Internet has played a key role in its success.

Dr. Bob, WHY do American HIV Researchers censor Safe Sex Serosorting data?

"Why do American HIV researchers censor safe sex serosorting data?" Actually, I'm not aware of any censorship of this data whatsoever. (If there was, you wouldn't be quoting it, right?)

What's important to note, even from the selective information in your post, is that people should not rely on serosorting to keep them safe! Nor is your conclusion, "serosorting has broken the cycle of new HIV transmissions and made safe sex safer," supported by sound scientific data.

For instance, the disconnect between rising rates of STDs and declining new HIV infections noted in some cities might be related to more effective antiretroviral therapy. We know that when HIV plasma viral load decreases to undetectable levels, the risk of HIV transmission decreases significantly. There have been marked improvements in antiretroviral therapy over recent years. This too may well account for the disconnect and declining HIV-infection rates.

The disclosure information you discuss really has nothing to do with serosorting. It merely documents what we've known for some time. That knowing one's status leads to decreased risk, including decreased numbers of partners and improved use of condoms.

I'm not dismissing serosorting. It may, in some cases, be an effective addition to other harm-reduction-and prevention strategies, but folks certainly should not rely on it.

Finally, I have to disagree with your comment that serosorting is the largest word-of-mouth prevention-and-harm-reduction strategy on the planet to date. That honor would be claimed by condoms. Hands down!

I'll reprint a recent post about serosorting below.

Safe Sex Serosorting. Jul 7, 2008

Dr. Bob;

Thank you for your reply: "As for your question, "Do HIV negative people have safe sex anymore?" the answer would be: Yes, the smart ones who wish to remain HIV negative do!

My advice is to play safe to be safe, whether you are poz or neggie."

For the past decade, I have always been receiving this type of a response to my question, regardless which HIV expert or professional I ask. However, the main question: WHY are the HIV researchers, "experts" and "professionals" delibertly REFUSING to support or encourage Safe Sex Serosorting? Is never answered. After all, you TOO agree that safe sex is best, so why not add Safe Sex Serosorting to the list of HIV prevention strategies.

So, please forgive me if I repeat my question: WHY are the HIV researchers, "experts" and "professionals" delibertly REFUSING to support or encourage Safe Sex Serosorting?

Robert

Hi Robert,

You report: "For the past decade, I have always been receiving this type of a response to my question, regardless which HIV expert or professional I ask." Well then, it's unanimous: We "HIV experts and professionals" all agree. In my initial response, I explained in detail exactly why it would be unwise and illogical for us to endorse barebacking for anyone and also why even a "negative" test may not mean your partner is truly HIV negative. (See below.) The only message that makes sense is "safer sex for all... no glove, no love, no exceptions." Think it through Robert. All "HIV experts, professionals, and researchers" wouldn't be of like mind if this strategy did not meet the standards of both scientific fact and common sense.

Safe Sex Serosorting Jul 5, 2008

With the universal success of Serosorting (As a Barebacking strategy)in breaking the cycle of NEW HIV transmissions, WHY are the HIV researchers, "experts" and "professionals" delibertly REFUSING to support or encourage Safe Sex Serosorting?

Do HIV-(negative) people have safe sex anymore?

Robert

Hello Robert,

The "universal success of serosorting"????? WHAT???? Whether serosorting has actually reduced the number of new HIV infections remains an open question. Barebacking, even with serosorting, remains a risky endeavor, due to the possibility of reinfection (superinfection, dual infection) as well as infection with other STDs that could affect the course of HIV disease for HIV pozitoids. As for the neggies, well, you're only as negative as your last HIV test and even that negative test might be a false negative if taken within the window period. Therefore, it would be irresponsible for the experts to support any type of barebacking.

As for your question, "Do HIV negative people have safe sex anymore?" the answer would be: Yes, the smart ones who wish to remain HIV negative do!

My advice is to play safe to be safe, whether you are poz or neggie.

Dr Bob, after reading all your newspaper articles and award by governor, i feel you are the only one that can ease me from all anxiety. I promise to donate !
Please Answer Dr.Bob