I will make donation for all your hard work!

Hi Dr. Bob,

I have written a few times asking for your professional opinion and no response. I know making a donation does not mean I will get an answer but I want to do it. Im the colonic girl who wrote to you about getting a colonic (where they insert warm water into your rectum to your colon to help reieve constipation). Well i am worried the nozzle was not cleaned after the person before me (which was only like 15 minutes before i went in). I fear that the person before me could have had hiv and that now i am infected. Due to my bowel problems i could have had a open cut from wiping too much. I know i should get tested at 3 months then at 6months but this was not even a week ago and i need some answers. DONT sugar coat it and just let me know the real risk, and if getting tested now would do any good.

Thanks for all your help, keep answering questions and i will keep donating!!

Your worries are completely unwarranted. HIV does not survive outside the body long enough for transmission to occur via the scenario you describe. In addition, the equipment is sterilized prior to every use. If it wasn't, the entire operation would have been shut down by the health and safety inspectors. Furthermore, the odds that the person utilizing the equipment prior to you was actually positive are exceedingly remote. HIV-transmission risk has been monitored and studied intensely for over a quarter of a century. The routes of transmission include:

1. unprotected sex;

2. blood-to-blood (sharing needles, occupational exposures, blood transfusions, etc.);

3. mother-to-infant (during delivery or breast feeding).

As you can see, there is no mention of colonics!

If you continue to perseverate on this problem, despite my reassurances, get a three-month rapid HIV test. The results will undoubtedly be negative and should put any residual (and unwarranted) fears permanently to rest.

Thanks for your donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed well!)

it doesnt matter how- ur right Dr. Bob- sometimes its okay to use french
Dr Bob, after reading all your newspaper articles and award by governor, i feel you are the only one that can ease me from all anxiety. I promise to donate !