Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I will make donation for all your hard work!
Jul 29, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

I have written a few times asking for your professional opinion and no response. I know making a donation does not mean I will get an answer but I want to do it. Im the colonic girl who wrote to you about getting a colonic (where they insert warm water into your rectum to your colon to help reieve constipation). Well i am worried the nozzle was not cleaned after the person before me (which was only like 15 minutes before i went in). I fear that the person before me could have had hiv and that now i am infected. Due to my bowel problems i could have had a open cut from wiping too much. I know i should get tested at 3 months then at 6months but this was not even a week ago and i need some answers. DONT sugar coat it and just let me know the real risk, and if getting tested now would do any good.

Thanks for all your help, keep answering questions and i will keep donating!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your worries are completely unwarranted. HIV does not survive outside the body long enough for transmission to occur via the scenario you describe. In addition, the equipment is sterilized prior to every use. If it wasn't, the entire operation would have been shut down by the health and safety inspectors. Furthermore, the odds that the person utilizing the equipment prior to you was actually positive are exceedingly remote. HIV-transmission risk has been monitored and studied intensely for over a quarter of a century. The routes of transmission include:

1. unprotected sex;

2. blood-to-blood (sharing needles, occupational exposures, blood transfusions, etc.);

3. mother-to-infant (during delivery or breast feeding).

As you can see, there is no mention of colonics!

If you continue to perseverate on this problem, despite my reassurances, get a three-month rapid HIV test. The results will undoubtedly be negative and should put any residual (and unwarranted) fears permanently to rest.

Thanks for your donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
it doesnt matter how- ur right Dr. Bob- sometimes its okay to use french
Next
Dr Bob, after reading all your newspaper articles and award by governor, i feel you are the only one that can ease me from all anxiety. I promise to donate !

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.