Why!! The Denial Of Current AIDS organizations Federal Funded

Dr.Robert J. Frascino, MD I hope you Post this so it can seen and truth exposed about current HIV Organizations and Denial about Prevention.(I've cut down as much as possible to get to the point)

For days now into July 2008 I have been waring with myself what to do about an incredible experience with an AIDS organization(Dept of Health) Florida Believe or not and the back ward attitude about HIV prevention. A woman in charge of this organization was holding a conference on what it is like to have HIV, She Needed Brave People to come forward and Discuss their status to the public, a small rural area with a lot of misconceptions about HIV, and a escalating seroconversion statistics that were possibly the worst in the USA, mind you the Dept. of Health is where this conference would occur in the public view TV cameras rolling and all.

First Off I called My Dr.(Whose on the Body) of 25 years friendship and fantastic care and ask could I openly mention him, his reply.'I'm Proud of You for taking this Bold step"..Now realize this community is in real trouble, the only conception of what HIV positive person Looks like is 111 lbs. on Ensure and Deaths Door..So for ME Whose Been HIV positive for a 25 years 230lb. Strapping retired Police Officer, Who Bench's 350 lbs and Squats 400 lbs and could be taking for Bill Goldberg the Wrestler and step forward in the Lime light and say " I Have HIV for a quarter of a century" Would stun the White Community, the Cowboys, the Migrant Workers, the Black and Hispanic Community, On and on...I felt like I DID NOT want to create a culture shock, what I was truly experiencing at home particullary on the Internet was local web sites Where this community had Upteem amount of Men (Married and Single)in Denial about safe sex, hooking Up basing their judgement on how Guys appeared, Too thin at 40 yrs of age must be sick!!, this is Mind set, this is the truth! And mind You this women in charge wants me to speak openly about what is experience of being HIV positive and how that could help the mind set of this community..And then comes the 'Right Wing Rub' there's always one in a crowd, She says to me " Oh Please don't mention Internet sites about men cruising each other, that would be offensive and not line with our federal funding guide lines" So I was not to mention, that a 19 yr old boy signed on to a site and saw me and wanted it badly, worse the married guy 35 how played around all in this community!

Mind You My Dr. Tried to make a Video a Month before,For the High Schools because the teen age HIV rate was a bomb ticking and the SchoolBoards Canned it because My Dr.Showed how to use a condom using his fore fingers as an example..Oh My God!! You thought he made a porn film!~ the parents were in Up Roar,the Video pulled,allover the news, Rednecks giving their comments about it, Pool Hall In River City!!

Sir, Dr. Frascino, You and your colleagues You Must BE in contact with the CDC and Upper Federal People, Is no way to change the Federal Guide Lines or least the mind set of the individuals in Washington?

By the way I never went and spoke, It made physically sick(literally) with angnst I guess she(the women in charge of the board health) won by me not going..I just couldn't expose myself and not at least walk away speaking the truth, it made no sense..My question more or less about the Federal Agencies should include whether you think i should went and spoke with my hands tied behind my back? I hope really post this, it must be going on everywhere, truly scary times these are with all the wonderful medical accomplishments of people like you and My Doctor, How could this mental mind set have taken root, over these eight years? How Did individuals with conservative harsh values enter and worm there way into these Federal Agencies?

Thanks for writing in and sharing your experience. Those of us involved in HIV awareness/prevention/education have been having similar experiences in many locations around the country over the past eight years that Bush/Cheney have been occupying the White House.

The woman in charge of the health department program was being truthful when she advised you that some topics are off limits because they do not conform to strict federal funding guidelines. These same guidelines and restrictions prevent funding for clean-needle exchange programs, science-based sex education programs in our schools and a whole host of targeted HIV-prevention programs. I, too, as chairman of our county medical association's AIDS task force was not allowed to speak at a local high school because I wanted to demonstrate appropriate condom use using a banana!

You ask, "Is there no way to change the Federal Guidelines and mindset of the individuals in Washington?" Yes, of course there is. Vote for Obama and democratic members of Congress in the upcoming elections! They have promised a comprehensive domestic HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention and education program. This will include clean-needle exchange programs; the return of science-based, age-appropriate sex education in our schools; and funding for science-based HIV-prevention programs targeting at-risk communities.

Turn your rage into action. Get the appropriate people elected and "change" will come. The CDC is a federal agency and reflects the values and opinions of the administration in power. McCain has not committed to any significant changes to domestic HIV/AIDS programs. McCain should be renamed McSame or perhaps McBush?

Chileanman in sorro!!!!
re: need your advice- it really will affect my career and decision