Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please reply. I am desperate!
Jul 29, 2008

Hello Dr Please answer this for me. I had sex with a bar girl in Asia about a week ago. The very next day I got a sore thorut. I then devolved a ear ache. After this I began to have chest pains and now I have a dry painful cough. I checked my neck yesterday and I have 2 small lymph nodes. I am worried I caught HIV. I wore a condom but the girl put a small bit of hand lotion on it. That is what is worrying me.Is it possible the virus got through? .What do you think. Are these symptoms common with hiv? I am a nervous wreck please help me. I can tell you now that the condom did not break.Can all this just be a common cold I caught before the sex? Please reply. I need to know what my risks are. I did check the others forums for a question like this but I could not find one.I just can believe I will be done in buy hiv/aids. I am a combat vet and this is not the way I thought I would die. Please help. I am desperate.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Combat vet or not, I can assure you all of us with HIV never planned on getting it!

Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely remote at best. You used a condom and that's the most effective way to prevent HIV, aside form abstinence, which for many of us is not even an option! It is true that oil-based lubricants should not be used with latex condoms, because they can denature the latex and increase the likelihood of condom failure. That your condom did not break is reassuring. Your symptoms beginning the "very next day" would not be HIV related. Acute retroviral syndrome symptoms related to HIV take weeks to appear, not days. If you remain worried, get a single HIV-antibody test (rapid test, ELISA, EIA, etc.) at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months from the date of exposure are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
10 years later, plus one
Next
A (first time) walk on the wild side

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.