desperate

Hello Dr. Bob.

It is me the one with blood in the eye about 15 month ago. I am very desperate because I am continuously suffering from my swollen glands all over my body, weired head feeling and tingling in my right foot and hand.

I know the window-debate and I have tested out to 13 month and it is neg Anyway for my possible exposure, ongoing symptoms and the fact that no Dr. (I have been to several also to a HIV-specialist at university) could track the cause, I think that I have a atypical immunoresponse to hiv: I am still ill, the virus (probably) entered my body via the conjunctiva and no antibodies are detected.

Actually I do not know why I am writing you again, because I can anticipate what you will say (something like: testing out of the window, symptoms mean nothing, highly excessive, worried-well ). But this is really destroying me. Do you have another piece of advise for me, please. And please no counselling or such because my symptoms are REAL.

Thank you.

Yes, I have advice for you, but I doubt you're going to like it. You've been to multiple doctors, including an HIV specialist, and tested HIV negative out to 13 months. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. The evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable.

I don't deny that you have very real symptoms. However, continuing to blame them on a disease you could not possibly have is preventing you from addressing the true cause of your illness. You do not have an "atypical immunoresponse to HIV!" What you do have is irrational fear of being HIV infected. Your problem is psychiatric, not virologic! My very strong recommendation is that you seek evaluation and treatment of psychosomatic illness related to irrational fear of HIV. This condition can, and often does, cause very real symptoms. Just take a read through the archives if you doubt my word.

Stop chasing HIV and start focusing your efforts on confronting your very real medical problem: HIV anxiety. Why are you so resistant to counseling? You've tried everything else and it hasn't helped. Try a psychiatrist; it certainly won't hurt. Bring a copy of this post to your appointment and show it to your psychiatrist. It will help to focus your evaluation and treatment and speed your recovery.

Straight talk about being an Afro-woman and staying safe
Restating the mixed martial arts question