Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nervous
Jul 26, 2008

Hi doc,

I asked a question yesterday and didn't get a response. My wife is a new nurse and she was taking an iv out of an hiv positive patient and she thinks some blood might have flung back and hit her in the face but she wasn't definite. she used a white paper towel and dabbed her face and saw no blood, but she is afraid a tiny speck might have gotten in her eye. she went to the emergency room and the doctor and cdc told her not to worry too much that the chances are very slim. they did say that she could take the precautionary tests but there are some side effects and is probably not worth it, so she didn't. should we be worried or are we just being fanatical about this. she got tested right away and was hiv negative.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I would definitely agree with the emergency room physician and CDC. Your wife's potential occupational exposure is extremely, extremely remote. Even if a significant amount of HIV-infected blood were to come into contact with the mucous membranes of the eye, the transmission risk would only be 0.09%! I would agree PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is not recommended or warranted. I would advise she repeat her HIV test in three months to reconfirm her negative status and also to put any residual worries permanently to rest. I'm very confident the follow-up test will remain negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
greetings
Next
HIV transmittal

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.