Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Crazy sister
Jul 25, 2008

Hello Doctor Bob!! I hope you be great. Thanks for taking the time to answer my last question about the method chemiluminescence. I get tested for HIV antibodies with this method at 6 months mark of a practice of a very low risk to non-existent( my psycian told me the risk), and the result was Negative!! Woohoo. I had doubts about the reliability of the laboratory because the test was cheaper than in other labs, so I asked to the center of health in my state about this laboratory and is approved by them, and they have the required credentials and permissions. But Lately I¡ve had night sweats and fatigue which worries me a lot in degree that I don¡t want to sleep because I¡m afraid to sweat , I¡m afraid to fear. What is your advice Dr. Bob? I¡m very depressed and I feel that the world Is going down because after having believed that everything was fine I have symptoms again. I want your honest opinion, do you recommend me to get tested again? Thanks you again for your time and I hope you be great and with a great humor as always, I send you a huge hug Btw I would not feel offended if you use your sarcarsm with my question I think that when you put some humor in your answers you help people in a very funny way. Alberto

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Alberto,

You agree your HIV-acquisition risk was "very low to nonexistent." You also believe in the reliability of your negative HIV test at six months. And yet you continue to worry you are HIV infected? Why? Exactly what part of "HIV negative" don't you understand?

I believe you diagnosed your own condition when you wrote "I'm very depressed . . . ." I agree. Your problem is depression, not HIV! The fatigue and sweating at night are most likely related to your depression and anxiety. It's amazing you don't want to sleep, because you're "afraid to sweat!" Even worse, you write "I'm afraid to fear"!!! Afraid to fear???? Hmm . . . OK, if you say so, but I'm not exactly sure what afraid to fear even means!

Alberto, stop chasing an illness that you could not possibly have and begin dealing with the illness that is at the root of all your problems: anxiety, depression and irrational fear of HIV infection. I'd strongly recommend you seek the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist for counseling and ongoing therapy. Bring a copy of this post and my response to your first visit and show it to your therapist. It will help focus your treatment and speed your recovery.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please point me in the right direction
Next
"is ten years too late " follow up. Good news!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.