Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CRAZY story, leading to a crazy-stressed out me! Help!
Jul 25, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob! I think you are great. Your answers have not only helped me relax, but have also made me laugh more than I have for a while!

About 3 months ago, an incident occured that has really scared me. I was driving on a main road when I saw a naked man running around in the street. He ran in front of my car, hit my hood (with his hands), and then approached my door. He fiddled with the door handle, but never made eye contact with me, which made it seem as though his intent wasn't too hurt me - but he was maybe drunk or on drugs or just out of it. I drove away as fast as I could and as I did so, he grabbed my mirror. About 5 - 10 minutes later (no less than 5, no more than 10), I got to where I was going. However, when I got out of my car, I failed to look at my door - I just hurried out of my car since I was already late for where I needed to be. About two hours later, I got back into my car, again, not noticing anything on my door. I continued on with my day as usual. However, the next day, I started to PANIC that I touched a part of the door where he may have touched (and may have possibly had a fluid on his hands or maybe a small cut of some sort) and that I bit my nails (nervous habit that I have) or rubbed my eyes (due to allergies) afterwards. I continued to panic for about the next week or so and then developed many of the "acute symptoms", including a low grade fever (never higher than 99.6-ish), sore throat, and fatigue. About 3 weeks after this occurred, I got an HIV test (antibody) to ease my mind. It was negative, but then I was concerned that I got it done way too soon for it to be accurate. Then, about 5 and a half weeks after possible exposure, I got another HIV test done, but this was a PCR RNA test. It said the virus was "Not Detected" ( < 48 copies/mL). What is your input on my risk of being infected? I still am so worried. If there was fluid on his hands that he touched my door with, I do not feel that it would have been a large amount of fluid - otherwise, I hope I would have noticed this, even after it was dry and even days later. However, part of my door is black, so who knows if I would have noticed that! But, do you think 5 - 10 minutes would have been enough time for a small amount of fluid to dry enough for the virus to die? I really hope to hear from you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Relax! Your HIV-acquisition risk is completely and absolutely nonexistent. If HIV were contracted that easily, it would have wiped out the entire planet many years ago. HIV testing is not warranted. Your HIV tests to date are not unexpectedly negative.

Now I have a question for you: Exactly where is this neighborhood where naked men run through the streets? I'm sure many of our readers would like to know, as they plan their next Sunday afternoon drive.

Dr. Bob

Previous
apologIES
Next
really now?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.