Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how do I eliminate people as my infector?
Jul 25, 2008

Hi I am recently confirmed HIV+ on 7/16/08 and am trying to learn as much as possible. I am currently battling Pneumoccal Pneumonia and have been hospitalized for it twice. My CD4 count came back as 64 and my doctor will start treatment later this week, hopefully.. My question.. is there any way to try and figure about how long I had HIV and who can I rule out as an infector? So it saves me from trying to find out for closure reasons.. I wasn't tested since I first came out in 2002, because of ignorance and trust of my few partners.. I have only been with 1 person for the last 3yrs..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I would urge you not to look back, but rather to concentrate on the realities of today and the promise of tomorrow. Time only travels in one direction: forward. You can't change yesterday, but tomorrow's possibilities remain wide open.

Because your CD4 count has dipped to 64, chances are quite high that you've been infected for a significant period of time, perhaps as long as 7 to 10 years. Attempting to find your "infector" will not change your current situation. Remember, it takes two to do the unsafe mattress mambo. You must assume responsibility for your actions, rather than look for someone else to blame.

That you were not tested due to "ignorance" again reflects that our current HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention and education programs are woefully inadequate. This is at least partially due to Bush's disastrous abstinence-only sex education policies.

As for "trust" of your partners, as I've often said, we must consider all our partners could be HIV infected and take all necessary precautions to prevent infection. Personally, I wouldn't trust someone's self-reported HIV status, even if he strapped a lie detector on his Mr. Happy.

My advice to you is to stop looking back and being looking forward, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
PNP BB GUILT
Next
what test to do

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.