Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re...help me please
Jul 24, 2008

hi Doc bob. thanks a lot for your reply.well i saw you wondered why i got 4 elisa tests at the same day, well it happened when i went to have my first test (lab 1), the same day in afternoon i was called to repeat the test, that really scared me, so i went to get other elisa test in other laboratory (lab 2), that came back negative. 2 days later the tests from the lab 1 came back possitive, when i saw this i went to show this at lab 2 (negative). they told me their test used to be the best,and the bacteriologist ordered other test under a differet method (hiv dou ultra elfa) that came back:antbody 0.04 and antigen 0.00 so this was negative too. so i had 2 negatives and 2 possitive the same day. with this situation i went to a lab 3 that came back possitive too 1.83. but the WB tests lab 1 and lab 3 came back negative. ( remember all this 4 months ago after the risk)the fact is the test that were possitve were made with MEIA, and negative tests with quimioluminisencia and hiv dou ultra elfa, plus WBs negative. as i told you, all this happened becuase i got scared when i was called to repeat the initial test.now on these days i got other negative elisa test and pcr less than 50 copies but htlv possiteve from lab 2.well you and Dc Steve think the same way about me case......hiv negative. thanks again Dc Bob and i wish you the best in all your things.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

It still seems like a lot of unnecessary testing to me. Remember, a positive ELISA (or equivalent) plus a negative Western Blot means that your HIV test is negative! Consequently, all your "HIV tests" in all the various labs and were in essence negative.

I'm certainly glad both Dr. Steve and I "think the same way about (your) case." By the way, did you really need for both of us to answer the same question? You seem to be fixed on getting a second (or third or fourth) opinion on things that only need a single answer, such as your HIV screening tests and now the interpretation of these multiple (unwarranted) tests! Dude, relax a bit. You are overcomplicating your life.

Dr. Bob

Previous
another oral sex question
Next
Freaked out over blood on hands (possibly)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.