Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

why are things so unfair!!!!
Jul 23, 2008

I have led a relatively honest life and see myself as a good citizen so why is this happening to me.

When I was young free and single I visited Amsterdam and slept with a prostitute in which I sure I wore a condom but cant be 100% sure I did as I was in a bit of a drunken state.

Anyway a couple of years later I got Shingles and a wart on my face that cleared up. After this I got married and had a child which was great.

For the last 2 years I have been stressing so much that I have got HIV my families life a nightmare by refusing to have sex with my wife etc and always being down. Anyway I have been having symptoms of late stage aids, like another wart on my wrist, lots of floaters and pn. Also I recentley had sex with my wife and a week and a half later she was ill with sinus pain blocked nose, flemmy chest, fatigue and headaches.

I am still putting on weight and am so depressed that I have given my wife hiv and too scared to get tested!!!

Would I be putting on weight like this with aids? Also is my wives recnt illness signs of ars? Cheers mate i would appreciate your thoughts?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Actually, things are not so unfair! I strongly doubt you have HIV/AIDS. However, that doesn't mean you don't have a problem. You certainly do. Your problem is clinical depression. That would account for your weight gain, depressed mood and other somatic complaints. Fortunately, depression is quite amenable to treatment with counseling and antidepressant medications.

Your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV/AIDS. Your fears about getting tested are irrational.

My advice is that you seek evaluation and treatment for your significant clinical depression. During your counseling sessions, you can, and should, address your irrational fears about HIV testing as well as your unwarranted fears that you are HIV infected and have transmitted the virus to your wife. Once you've conquered these anxieties, you should get a rapid HIV test. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your Amsterdam hooker sex-perience.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
IRONIC ANSWERS FROM YOU
Next
Reformed Office Tramp

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.