Dr. Bob you are a true inspiration!

Dr. Bob you are a true inspiration to all! I am an otherwise healthy 24 year old female. I had and incident where the condom broke with an unknown HIV +/- promiscuous male no ejaculation inside, maybe some pre-cum. This happened the last week in Nov. 2006. I did have a sore throat and non painful swelling in armpits, along with night sweats. But I cant remember if I was sick before or after the incident with the condom breaking it could have been months before and I just cant remember. I was well enough to go to work during those symptoms and didnt have any body aches, rash, or fever during the day. I went to the doctors on March 14, 2007 (Approx. 4 Months /16 weeks after exposure) and requested an HIV test and it came back negative. I also read and called the hotline# on this website www.aac.org and was told the window period is 6 weeks. Now its July 2008 and I am experiencing bean shaped painless nodes in both armpits and cheeks along with a stiff neck and sometimes some groin pain/throat pain, pains in my hands and feet, and this has been happening for over a month. I went to the doctors and told them about my previous hiv test time period and my doctor told me that its not conclusive till the 6 months then a year after exposure. The doctor told me that he had a needle prick in the past and the standard testing for hiv is 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 12 months is 100% hiv negative. I also told him about the aac.org website and he said to believe him and not some website. Now I am waiting for my results to come back in a week and I am scared and confused. After reading what I read on my state aac.org website and all the posts I read on this website. I was confident with my test in March 07,now my doctor has me so worried. What do you think about my situation? Please send some good karma my way. PLEASE!

I do not agree with your physician. Routine HIV testing out to 12 months is neither warranted nor recommended by HIV/AIDS organizations and HIV/AIDS physician specialists. The six-month recommendation comes from the CDC, a very conservative organization, and even they recommend it only for significant exposures to a source known to be HIV positive. Your follow-up HIV test will undoubtedly be negative. It was wrong for your physician to frighten you needlessly. You might consider switching to a more reasonable and up-to-date doctor for your ongoing health care.

Good karma sent, but you won't need it for your HIV test result. I'm very confident it will be negative.

Scinence is the devil (joke, no question)
I need help