Why do you recomend one thing for one person but another thing for another person

Hey Doctor just a quick question. In cases where possible transmission are very rare you say "just go have a simple rapid test done at the three month mark." I don't disagree with this. However, with people who have definent exposures you don't say "go have a rapid test." Do you believe that people who are seriously at risk should have a nomral EIA test done. Or, can the people who are seriously at risk also have a simple rapid test done?

Thanks so much, I can't wait to hear from you on your explanation.

Initial HIV screening can be done by any type of HIV-antibody assay, including rapid tests, ELISA, EIA, etc. However, rapid testing may not be available in all locations worldwide. I try to tailor my response to the individual questioner. However, there is no reason to recommend EIA over rapid testing for initial screening, no matter what level of risk was involved. If you read enough of my responses, you'll see this is indeed the case.

to "scinence is the devil"
WATER