to "scinence is the devil"

sorry if i'm a busy body doctor bob.i just couldnt agree when somebody is being rude to somebody who actually trying his best to help us in this world.i myself is a very religious person.but i've never thought that science is the devil.i think that science is great.in this case where we talk about hiv,it's really important that we try to use our knowledge to find the cure.because not everybody got infected due to their irresponsible acts.some got it from accident at work place (lab or hospital for example) and some got it from strangers who raped them.u might be wondering what am i doing here if i'm a religious person.i'm a muslim.but human being are so weak that from time to time they cant avoid from doing mistakes.i regret it so much that till today i keep on crying at night for what i've done.now it has been 5weeks since my exposure to this cruel virus.from that date of exposure until today i've been absolutely crazy.everyday i would spend at least 2hours to read this questions and answers page to find answers to my risk due to that stupid exposure.because of science now we know that not every exposure will result in transmission.because of science now we know how to prevent or at least reduce the risk of infection.because of science also we are able to screen people who are positive and take precaution.and there are so many things that i could write here to tell u that it's not science,but us who make mistakes and sometimes we had to pay for it.science is to improve our quality of life.God asks us to gain as much knowledge as we can and make use of it so that we can be a better person.so stop blaming science or certain group of people for their sexuality.blame yourself.i'm blaming myself for what i did.and hopefully i'll not contract the virus.i cried every night.i wrote to dr. bob twice but he didnt reply.but i assume that he didnt reply because 1)there's nothing that i've to worry about and 2)it's just the same question like thousands of questions that we could find in this archieve.i just received my ELISA and it says non reactive.i know that it's not conclusive coz it has been only 5weeks after exposure but that is good enough to stop me from crying.now i feel better.if dr.bob wants to know which posts that was me,i think the title are "med student" and "mad or med student".i know i shouldnt be who-ooing yet,but i'd love to haha.so please dr.bob if u read this,please pray that i'll be always healthy with a more positive mind (like you) and a negative hiv results after 3months later.thank you very much and again sorry for being a busy body. take care dr.bob.

medical student,prague

med. or mad student? (Submitted Jul 13, 2008)

hello dr. bob

i actually wrote to u a little while ago but didnt get your reply.so i assume that it's because my case is just the same as many other questions on this web.but still i'm worrying about it.waiting for the 3months is like forever.let me make my case shorter than last time; had protected sex with an excort girl in prague on the 11th of june 2008.i wasnt drunk and never had sex before.no std.i'm circumsized male.no oral sex to her.but had protected oral sex from her.didnt finger her.and had sex with her twice in that one stupid hour in my life. about 2weeks later.i started to feel a little pain on my neck area.not sure if they are lymph nodes or just muscles.had ulcer for 2days in my mouth.anyway before that had some headache but i assume that it's because of lack of sleep,stress due to exams and also stress of what i did with the escort girl.and lastly after 2weeks until now i'm experiencing some kind of muscle and joint pain.i'd say the pain is more localized on my left part.more often on my deltoid muscle,elbow,wrists and ankle.other than that i dont think i have any other symptoms.well probably some general feeling of not feeling well. i'm so worried till i didnt french kiss my girlfriend anymore.i didnt even share the same glass to drink with her anymore.i didnt tell her.will tell her after i got tested coz after reading all of your answers,i know that my risk is very low provided that the condom was really latex and didnt break.dont want to spoil her holiday by worrying of something that actually doesnt exist.but still because of my muscle pain,i'm really worried.the pain is quite sharp.doesnt occur that often but enough to scare me.so what do u think about my risk? and lastly can hiv be tested at any clinic?and also,is there any policy in any country saying that any case of hiv must be reported to the government and all that?coz i'm scared if i'll be positive.i dont want to.i want to think that i'm negative.but still,i'm scared to death right now.and recently my girl suddenly had fever and cough.that makes me more worried.please doctor please help me.i want to be a doctor too. thanks for all your help doctor bob.will be waiting for your reply.even if it's just a short answer,i'll be very happy.thanks again. take care.

scared medical student

I combined one of your previous questions with your most recent comment.

Considering you are a medical student, it's a good thing you respect and believe in science. Medicine is, of course, based on scientific fact and principles.

Regarding your HIV risk from your "one stupid hour" with the Naughty Lady on Shady Lane in Prague, you are correct. I did not respond initially because your worries and concerns are completely unwarranted and remarkably similar to so many other questions already posted in the archives. Briefly, your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break. Your symptoms are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). They are much more consistent with guilt and anxiety. Your five-week negative ELISA is indeed encouraging, but not yet definitive. You will need to wait until the three-month mark for a conclusive HIV-antibody test result. Your fears about kissing your girlfriend or sharing a glass with her are irrational.

It is unfortunate that your upbringing has resulted in your excessive and unwarranted fears surrounding sex. Hopefully, as you progress through your medical training, you will be able to more readily distinguish genuine risk from irrational fear and worrisome symptoms from those induced by guilt and stress. You should use this personal experience to learn how to recognize these differences so that you'll be able to help others with similar problems when you become a physician.

Regarding your questions about testing, yes, HIV screening can be performed at essentially any clinic. HIV reporting varies from country to country. In the U.S., it is now mandatory to report all HIV-positive test results to the health authorities. Anonymous HIV testing is available in some locations. Regarding your situation, I have no doubt your three-month definitive HIV test will remain negative.

I urge you to continue to learn about HIV. Trust science. Facts are the best way to conquer fears. If you are not able to distinguish fact from fear, you may never become an effective physician.

Freaked out by counsellor reisk assessment. High Risk.
Why do you recomend one thing for one person but another thing for another person