Infection Quick Drop

I feel strongly that I seroconverted to HIV in January 2005...I tested positive March of 2007 (26 months without testing) CD4 was 220 (15%)just after that POZ result. Immediatly went on Atripla (all is great) The question: Is 26 months rare for starting treatment and having such a low count. I have so many friends who test + and either are not yet on meds or counts are nowhere near that low number...I realize everyone is different...But being as fit and athletic as I have always been, I feel 26 months to have counts be so low was quite a shocker...I am not worried...Especially with my 700 and 28% now 12 months with Atripla. Just has always haunted me as to why my counts plumited so rapidly comparded to so many others I have been in contact with. Thanks Dr. B...C

Hi C,

It would be difficult to sort out in retrospect exactly why your counts dropped so quickly, particularly if you don't have a series of CD4 counts over time to follow the trend. It's worth noting that everyone responds to HIV differently and there are many variables involved, including both those that are viral (viral strain, for instance) and host (immune integrity, concurrent infections, etc.) related. I should also point out CD4 counts can fluctuate for reasons other than HIV. Consequently, I would encourage you not to be haunted by the past. What is considerably more important is the present and the future. You have responded well to Atripla and if you are indeed "fit and athletic," your outlook for the future is bright. My advice is not to look back, but to focus on the reality of today and the promise of tomorrow, both of which are cause for optimism.

Be well. Stay well.

i just took my hiv test and want your good luck
So impress with your work that a pledge of donation monthly is needed.. Please just help me clarify this issue. please and thanks