Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Exposure
Jul 11, 2008

Dr. Doctor, I was recently exposed to the HIV virus while at work(nurse). The exposure was classified as low risk. I got heparin solution-possibly blood in a paper cut (cut was about 15hours old)on my thumb. More than likely fluid was heparin and not blood. The exposure was during a procedure and the heparin solution/blood came from a connection of tubing.I washed my hands after the exposure and went to the ER. I took the PEP medication. Do you think I am at high risk for contracting HIV? even if it was blood? the possible blood I came in contact with was a CD400 count. Also since I am taking the medication will it take longer for HIV positiveto show up? This is the first time this has happened to me at work-so it really freaked me out. Oh and the reason I was offered the PEP meds is because there was no way for sure to know if there was blood or if it was just heparin in the transducer. Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

From the limited information provided in your post, I would agree your HIV-acquisition risk would be very low. You immediately took appropriate action by washing your hand and being evaluated for your occupational exposure in the ER. You took PEP. Consequently, you've done everything you can to prevent HIV transmission. Next, you'll need post-PEP HIV screening at the three- and six-month marks. By following these guidelines for testing, there should be absolutely no cause for concern about delayed seroconversion. You can download a complete copy of the updated guidelines for occupational HIV exposure and the use of PEP at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5409a1.htm

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
many many thanks to you
Next
so far so good...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.