Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

first time cocaine use
Jul 10, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob I have not seen much information on this and it is wrecking me mentally. I did cocaine for the first time with my friend a few weeks ago and we shared a bill. We each had about 3 lines and I regret ever trying it. Thank god I did not like it at all. The next day I noticed some reshish I think blood on one of my bills and I am not sure if it was mine or my brothers or maybe from someone else. I had the bill in my pocket for at least an hour before using it and now I am totally freaked out that I could have caught hiv or hep c. My brother is clean but if it was from someone else that maybe had used it a while before. What are my chances or aquirinf either of the above infections. No need to lecture as I have learned a valuable lesson and have taken steps with my wife to ensure it never happens again. My wife is pregnant and I do not want to sleep with her if I may put here at risk. Thanks so much and I look foreword to a response. What is the addres to send the donation to?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

HIV and hepatitis C can be transmitted by blood-to-blood (HIV and Hep C) or blood-to-mucous membrane (HIV) contact. Consequently, infection is theoretically possible if one of your coked-up buddies was HIV and/or hepatitis C positive and if he actively bleeding and if you used the bill immediately after him and if you got a significant amount of the infected blood on your nasal membranes that may or may not have been fried and bleeding due to the coke. But that's a hell of a lot of "ifs" and in reality your acquisition risk is extremely low from snorting three lines. If you remain worried, I'd suggest you level with your wife and use condoms until your three-month definitive HIV test confirms you did not contract the virus. Your general medical doctor can also screen you with a simple blood test for hepatitis.

Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for your willingness to help others in desperate need. In return, I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your screening HIV and hepatitis tests are negative. I'm quite confident they will indeed be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I tested negative for hiv does this also mean im negative for aids?
Next
Terrified by toy experiance. Can you help?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.