Reviving the combivir: started meds during ARS combivir want to stop- can i?

Hi Dr. Bob, I started combivir during ARS - i have been taking only combivir for about 33 days now- and dna pcr indicated the virus. I was wondering if i stop meds now- will i automatically become resistant to combivir- is there a way i can stop to possibly be able to revive the combivir at a later date? Please suggest. Thank you.

Issac

Hello Issac,

Without additional information, it's difficult to provide you with specific advice. If indeed you are HIV positive and have been started on an antiretroviral medication regimen, I would assume it contains more than Combivir, as this two-drug combination on its own would not be considered an effective or recommended treatment. Why are you considering stopping Combivir?

Perhaps you were taking Combivir as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). If that were the case, you should have stopped after 28 days (a full course of PEP).

Whatever your situation, I would suggest you discuss your treatment and treatment options with your HIV specialist. She is best equipped to answer your questions, specifically as she knows your case well and has access to your medical file, laboratory results, etc.

In general, if you are not already resistant to Combivir, there should be no trouble discontinuing it and considering it for use as part of a future regimen. Resistance testing can help guide these decisions.

am i in the clear
I tested negative for hiv does this also mean im negative for aids?