8 weeks and Inconclusive

I waited to have my HIV tests performed exactly 60 days from my last "semi high-risk exposure". My docstor ordered a western blot...but to my knowledge did not order an Elisa. The results came back inconclusive. Subsequently I have found out that I have tested postive for shypilis. Is it likely that after 8 weeks my tests would be inconclusive? Wouldn't it have shown up as positive if I were postive, or could the spyhilis mask the postive reading?

If your "docstor" is ordering HIV tests at day 60 and only ordering a Western Blot without first seeing a positive ELISA, he's not doing you any favors and I would suggest you find yourself a more competent physician! First of all, HIV-antibody testing performed prior to the three-month mark is not considered to be conclusive. Second, Western Blot testing should never be run independently of a positive ELISA, due to a 2% rate of false positives and a much higher rate of indeterminate results! Take a read through the archives of this forum to learn more about Western Blot testing and the causes of indeterminate results. I would suggest you completely disregard your current "inconclusive" result and begin your HIV screening properly with an FDA-approved ELISA (or EIA or rapid test) a full three months after your "semi-high-risk exposure." If negative, that's as far as you need to go! If positive (repeatedly reactive), proceed on with a Western Blot. You should also proceed on with your syphilis evaluation and treatment in the interim.

test v symptoms - thank you
Elusive, lying, techie husband.